10 litre no-chill cubes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people in plastic have 10L cubes from $11 I think - HDPE

the 25L is cheaper still

Hi all,

Old'ish thread but I have read through it and used the information in it to purchase 2 BMW 10L Red lid cans from Bunnings. The ones I got do not have taps in them but I have purchased 2 of the taps that will work with them.

One thing I wondered is if I do decide to use the taps. or come to think of it even if I don't decide to use the taps but just stick with the bung that came with them, is it worth swapping the standard rubber washers for silicon ones?

I suppose the last thing I want to happen when I use them for the first time and transfer hot wort into them is for the stock rubber washers to fail.

Any thoughts?

jollster101 said:
Hi all,

Old'ish thread but I have read through it and used the information in it to purchase 2 BMW 10L Red lid cans from Bunnings. The ones I got do not have taps in them but I have purchased 2 of the taps that will work with them.

One thing I wondered is if I do decide to use the taps. or come to think of it even if I don't decide to use the taps but just stick with the bung that came with them, is it worth swapping the standard rubber washers for silicon ones?

I suppose the last thing I want to happen when I use them for the first time and transfer hot wort into them is for the stock rubber washers to fail.

Any thoughts?
I've never used silicone washers on my cubes and am still yet to have a failure. Some of my cubes a over 3 years old and still going strong with all the original bits. It is more about how you treat them between uses than while full.

JDW81 said:
It is more about how you treat them between uses than while full.
Could you elaborate a bit more on that.....I am branching into this for the first time and so am slowly gathering my kit ready for my first brew.

Also do you have taps in your cubes or taps out? I am thinking obviously taps in as that will make it easier for dispensing (although I did get what Bunn's apparently call a helpful plastic pourer with the cube)

FWIW in my limited experience, the taps are rather handy. It means when you're ready to fill the fermenter you can sit the cube above the ferm, open the tap & let it steadily stream in & aerate the wort - all ready for the yeasties to get going.

Having said that, just pouring it in from the top opening is similar & quick, just not as much aeration, i s'pose.

And you need to make sure the taps fit tight & snuggly - you really don't want any tiny leaks, or worse still: air getting into the cube. One of mine seems to get a tight fit with the tap facing upwards, so that one gets poured straight in.

TLDR: I prefer taps in.

Also, i've left the original seals in. And i used some teflon tape on both the top lid & the taps.

JDW81, on 31 Jul 2013 - 9:14 PM, said:
JDW81 said:
It is more about how you treat them between uses than while full.
Could you elaborate a bit more on that...

+1...

technobabble66 said:
Could you elaborate a bit more on that...

+1...
Mainly keeping them clean, with the taps/bungs and cubes stored somewhere out of direct light.

I clean my cubes as soon as I've finished and soak for a day or so with napisan. Once they're done I rise, take out the taps/bung and them store them upside down in the garage which is dark most of the time. Taps and bungs get cleaned, dried and kept in a drawer out of the light/dust.

JD.

Likewise, give a good rinse with hot tap water, throw half capful napisan more hot water. about 5 ltr, lid on and shake, open tap to flush under pressure. Over the course of the next few days i rotate cube and let it sit one face a day to soak all surfaces. When needed i rinse 3 times hot tap water (Usually just after i have put whirlflok into new brew) ready to be filled.

Just did my first 10L no chill cube with a belgian blonde. A little tricky to seal the lid, but looks ok so far.

Back