10 Gallon Insulated Water Coolers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brenjak

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these are any good?

Link

I was looking to get a 10 gallon Rubbermaid but they are expensive.

Prost,

BGL

Link

Prost,

BGL

Looks pretty similar to the Frosty ones that Rays Outdoors sell... a few people went and bought those a while back, just removed the tap and fitted a round false bottom into them.

I was thinking along these lines myself for a while there...

Brendo

Link

Prost,

BGL
I was looking at those as well but they have been 'out of stock' for well over 3 months now and gave up waiting. The 'Keep Cool' branded unit you can pick up for around $80, or go a 33L rectangular Willow, Target had them for $25 a week or so ago.

Cheers

Sully

How would they go for heat retention? Rubbermaid is said to only loose about 1 degree in an hour. Would the old camping mat around the side and over the lid with heat resistant glue do the job you reckon?

How would they go for heat retention? Rubbermaid is said to only loose about 1 degree in an hour. Would the old camping mat around the side and over the lid with heat resistant glue do the job you reckon?

yep

Edit: If its needed at all. I reckon it'd be fine.

Hey Biergeliebter,

I have one very similar that i purchased from Rays Outdoors as Brendo said and it's great. It is actually exactally the same.

The lid is hollow so i just drilled it and filled it with expanding foam, the sideas are fully insulated. I have a 9" false bottom and all the plumbing parts i got from Bunning.

My temp loss is similar to the rubbermaid, only 1C an hour so no need for a camping mat.

Lachlan

Hey Biergeliebter,

I have one very similar that i purchased from Rays Outdoors as Brendo said and it's great. It is actually exactally the same.

The lid is hollow so i just drilled it and filled it with expanding foam, the sideas are fully insulated. I have a 9" false bottom and all the plumbing parts i got from Bunning.

My temp loss is similar to the rubbermaid, only 1C an hour so no need for a camping mat.

Lachlan

Excellent, I am in Cairns later this week and will get some expanding foam from Bunnings. In aisle 1157 from memory...
I have a zymico deluxe cooler tap and screens that i got when the Oz dollar could actually buy something and the conversion did not cost you hundreds.

Thanks!

Yes. Sold out. Might jsut spend the 85$ at BCF this Friday! I am an impatient man.

I picked a gatorade branded one of these up many moons ago from the Quokka. Does fine loses about 1c over 60min , although on my last brew It dropped 3c and that threw me. Yes the lid is hollow, never thought of filling it with expanding foam so I may do that. I wrap mine up and some foil on the top of the mash helps also.

I picked a gatorade branded one of these up many moons ago from the Quokka. Does fine loses about 1c over 60min , although on my last brew It dropped 3c and that threw me. Yes the lid is hollow, never thought of filling it with expanding foam so I may do that. I wrap mine up and some foil on the top of the mash helps also.

I will probably use the foil on top as well. Every little bit helps i guess.

Anyone noticed the big DO NOT USE HOT LIQUIDS text on the bottom of the willow coolers? I was going to get one, but this scared me off.

Anyone noticed the big DO NOT USE HOT LIQUIDS text on the bottom of the willow coolers? I was going to get one, but this scared me off.

Yes JohnnyAnchovy I have, but I ignored it.

The internal lining can (and does) pull away from the insulating material when you pour near boiling water into them so it can start to look a bit buckled.

I have noticed when cleaning out my 55l willow tun that there will be a large curved gap between the long side of the esky and the grain bed. I think this is caused by the plastic expanding away from the foam when heated by the hot sparge water and then contracting back as the water level drops and the plastic cools.

I was worried at first that this would be creating a channel but it seems to happens a short while after the sparge level drops and the palstic cools and retracts. My efficiency has remained pretty constant at around 78-80% since I noticed the effect, so I don't worry about it so much.

Long term I'm wrecking the esky no doubt, but in the short term I have beer :icon_cheers:

cheers

grant

Yes JohnnyAnchovy I have, but I ignored it.

Long term I'm wrecking the esky no doubt, but in the short term I have beer :icon_cheers:

cheers

grant

Call me a big fat superstitious wuss, but personally I'd be more concerned with what is leaching out of the plastics. I'm very new to AG brewing, and know people have been doing it for years immemorial in plastic mashtuns, but I'm going to save for a few months until I can afford to buy/build a SS one. Until then its still small-scale BIAB for me.

Call me a big fat superstitious wuss, but personally I'd be more concerned with what is leaching out of the plastics. I'm very new to AG brewing, and know people have been doing it for years immemorial in plastic mashtuns, but I'm going to save for a few months until I can afford to buy/build a SS one. Until then its still small-scale BIAB for me.

Mine also has a warning not to let small children play in it or they may suffocate, so you can't be too careful.

cheers

grant

Latest posts

Back