1/2" pump vs 3/4" pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've got a 1/2" magnetic pump but not happy with the flow for a decent whirlpool.
I'd like to use a 3/4" pump as this would have a LOT more flow and I think would work much better. But I'm wondering if I can use my existing 1/2" fittings, taps and hoses and with only a 1/2" to 3/4" reducer on the in and out of the pump.
Will I get a noticible difference using a bigger pump but on same sized fittings and hoses? Or am I wasting my time?
Anyone else tried this? I just don't want to have to change all my fittings and hoses etc :)

Cheers
Hunt

Assuming that the 3/4" pump has a higher power/pressure rating you should get higher flow, perhaps not all you could get with bigger lines.
If you have to change anything changing the inlet side to get the best possible flow into the pump can make a surprising amount of difference.
Mark

If your looking at the KK 65w, yes you'll get more flow, note between that and the KK 25w would sit the March 815, which you can get for around Au$330 that has a 3/4 inlet and 1/2 output, the march will outlast your system 9/10.
All up what Mark has stated above covers it, most have issue with long hex coils creating head they haven't accounted for, the bigger the pipe/hose the less flow restriction. If your using cam locks some of the barb IDs are tiny and will restrict flow. So probably a good idea to go over your plumbing and check that everything is full bore 1/2 it does make a difference.

Mike

Cheers for the replies.
I ended up picking up one of these which is from the same crowd that I bought my 1/2" pumps about 5 years ago and they've been working mint.

For the cost (about $110AUD landed) it's worth it even if it only last a couple of years!

I get what you're saying about having a larger diameter on the IN. Will try and make that happen!

http://s.aliexpress.com/22YBZRFN?fromSns=

Cheers
Hunt

Back