0 min hop addition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have seen a few receipes now that call for a 0 min hop addition. So in my simple mind to me means at flame out I add the 0 min hop addition which remains in the wort while I'm chilling it down etc... when i transfer the wort to the FV I remove the 0 min hop addition meaning these hops have been in the wort for a good 20+ mins?

This is also assuming at flame out all other hops were removed from the wort?

Cheers for any clarification.

Your explanation of 0 min addition - spot on.
As for what happens to the hops afterwards, a 0 min addition depends on the recipe*. Typically brewers chill the wort immediately once the heat is off and hence the 0 mins addition contributes very little bitterness. When transferring to the fermentation vessel, best practice is to leave as much of the trub behind (finings like BrewBrite, Irish Moss or Whirlfloc help) so you have nice clear wort.

* a 0 min addition will have a different effect on taste and bitterness if chilling or no-chilling, so it's important to understand the impact of the addition when you're reading the recipe.

I have noticed also that different brewers have different routines and time frame of what happens after flame out. Some wait up to 10 minutes for convection to stop then whirlpool and wait 5-10 min. Then chill or no chill. Where I used to try and get my wort after flame out of kettle in 5-10 min. This brings a difference of 10 minutes of time for the hops to bring a bit of bitterness, some flavour and aroma.
In beersmith calculations 0 min additions give no ibu but if you put it at 20min it will. When you are using a high alpha hop late this can add a bit of bittering not calculated by the software and a difference between brewers.

Latest posts

Back