“I have a Problem” most beers taste good!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drover's dog

Reaction score
70 and have enjoyed beer all my life - well since I was 15.

I have my favourites beers. All are associated with memories. Company, places and finally taste. How do I turn that order around - or may be I shouldn’t? It would be brilliant to discern, the: Yeast, hops, get a total feel for that particular beer. I try to go on a history lesson on my favourite bitter (it stands out, so clear, a Buttonwood bitter) I would swap a pound for a penny to get a drink of that...

I thought it may have been an Alzheimer moment, I have heard of Burtonwood Brewery not Buttonwood Brewery, Googled it and found a brewery by that name on Rhode Island, but the mention of penny and pound indicates an English brewery. I will be making a clone of Burton Bridge Bitter on Friday and a Nut Brown Ale tomorrow.

70 and have enjoyed beer all my life - well since I was 15.

I have my favourites beers. All are associated with memories. Company, places and finally taste. How do I turn that order around - or may be I shouldn’t? It would be brilliant to discern, the: Yeast, hops, get a total feel for that particular beer. I try to go on a history lesson on my favourite bitter (it stands out, so clear, a Buttonwood bitter) I would swap a pound for a penny to get a drink of that...

mate if you want to get a greater appreciation for beer I would suggest joining a homebrew club. At my club, BABBS, in Brisbane, we do beer tasting/judging every second month. It's a great way too learn more about beer.

I thought it may have been an Alzheimer moment, I have heard of Burtonwood Brewery not Buttonwood Brewery, Googled it and found a brewery by that name on Rhode Island, but the mention of penny and pound indicates an English brewery. I will be making a clone of Burton Bridge Bitter on Friday and a Nut Brown Ale tomorrow.
I have a spell-checker that needs castrating...

The pub was called “The Black Swan” (Dirty Duck) in Heywood, Lancashire, the only Burtonwood pub for miles… Just for info, in my day (Ive been in Oz since I was 21) Heywood was a town of 14000 people and boasted 27 pubs - nice average.

Burtonwood Bitter.

Pale malt 2,450 g
Crystal malt 0,230 g
Torrefied wheat 0,380 g

In the copper
Invert cane sugar 0,720 g
Challenger hops 29 g start of boil
Progress hops 18 g start of boil
Fuggles hops 25 g start of boil
Whitbread Goldings hops 12 g last 15 minutes
Irish moss last 15 minutes
Mash temp 65 C 90 minutes
Boil time 120 minutes
Alcohol content 4.2%
OG 1036 FG 1005
36 EBU
Final volume 23 litres.

I haven't put this into any of the brewing programs, but I might after reading Graham Wheelers (RIP) tasting description, may well brew this myself.

Latest posts

Back