Zork Corks/capping Methods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdrummond

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I think this is my third posting and everyone has been real helpful, very easy to get distracted while at work!

Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience using thos Zork plastic cork things they are starting to use in some wines.

I have gone from using long necks to using thicker champagne and wine bottles (not screw top) and have been looking at methods to seal them for secondary fermentation. If the Zork's (plural?) don't work I wanted to know if you can buy adaptors for a bench top capper that I have already, to accept standard caps for use on a wider top (if that makes any sense!)?

I have no idea what brand my one is but the writing on the unit itself is in italian.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again. :icon_cheers:

Hi.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that wine bottles are generally not designed to hold much pressure, and you run a very real risk of you're corks being pushed out, or the bottles exploding if you put beer in them.

Champagne bottles on the other hand.... Excellent for keeping brews in, and will handle higher pressures.

They're probably best sealed using crown seals available for champagne bottles. The Caps and Bell for you're capper should be available from youre local HBS, or check out some of the site sponsors (G&G had them in at one stage)

:beer:

Danbeer, This is something that I looked into a little while back and still plan to do when I can organise it.
You can buy cheap plastic corks through wine homebrew stores as well as the metal wire twisties to keep them on when pressurised.
Both plastic cork and twistie can be reused if cleaned properly (no risk of contamination with twistie of course).
I also read on several sites that the Champagne bottles are far better for the pressure reasons mentioned.

I reckon opening a corked, good looking, 'out of the cellar' beer beats taking the cap off one any day.

Good luck and post how you go once there are some in the works.

Also, I have found it difficult to find second hand champagne bottles. Having trouble from the race track who seem unwilling to let me collect them after race days. ;)

Marlow

one way to get champagne bottles is just go to a reception centre and ask as they always have functions etc will probly have heapss...
by the way do grain and grape have the plastic corks as i had a fair few champagne bottles but couldnt find corks so binned them..
so anyone no places in melbourne for corks

G&G seem to have the attachment to cap champagne bootles, but don't seem to have the caps. Nor do the other sponsors - as far as I can see.

Anyone know where these can be found? Called Tirage seals?

cheers

Kev

Ahhhhh....there thay are...winemaking....who'd have thought?

Hi WD
I have used Zorks, for wine only though.
Attachments can be purchased to fit onto cappers.
Zorks are designed to fit on to traditional wine bottles. As mentioned before, wine bottles have thinner glass and are unlikely to handle the pressure of carbonation.
You could try using a Zork, 'pig tail' removed in a champagne bottle with a muselage (wire cage) to ensure it doesn't pop out. www.zork.com.au

All my wine gear is at a mates place so don't have any unused ones hand. But do have some used ones, and am now thinking of having a play next time at bottling.

I just tried jamming one in a Coopers long neck, internal diameter of bottle too small.
Tried 330ml Matilda bay bottle, perfect fit, but would not be able to keep it in the bottle.
From memory, approx 50 cents each, bit expensive even if you can reuse them.

I think an easier and more fail safe method would be with Tirage Crown Seals, as Kevo mentioned.

to everyone who has posted

thanks for all the help - i can safely say that unless i feel like using wire to seal each cap, better off sticking to regular crown caps.

glad i know now before splashing out on some zorks!

what a name hey?!
:icon_vomit:

Latest posts

Back