Your Worst/Dumbest Brewday Stuff Up...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I could patent how we can clean kegs and bottles whilst drinking :)

Both sacks look alike

I reckon MXD probably drinks just a little bit too much on brewdays :D

Left tap on fermenter open dumpimg a couple of litres on the floor

Forgetting to add brewbrite at 10min addition

Various dumb moments spilling wort all over the floor

Stuffing up hop additions in brewing software (forget to account for no chill bitterness)

Overfill fermenter somehow leading to a massive Krausen explosion and beer everywhere in the fermenting fridge

Various burns from being careless whilst squeezing bag

I had picked up the saucepan lid I use to distribute the wort while I vorlaff with vice grips. Because it was wet, it slipped and fell. Subconsciously, I stuck my foot out to stop it from dinting on the shed floor (plus the lifetime of grief associated with damaging "kitchen" equipment....). My subconscious forgot that I live in northern queensland, and brew mostly barefoot...... I watched in slow motion as the lid dropped on its side and bounced squarely off my big toe. Instant red/black toe nail, and within 2 minutes it was lifting off the nail bed. I had to drill a hole in the nail to let the blood and pressure out. Lucky I was already in the shed!

Cheers,
RB

Not a brew day stuff up as such, but when I stuck the current brew in the FV in the fridge, I raised the controller from 0 back up to 18, taped the probe to the side as normal, and left it. Came back a little while later and it had risen up to nearly 20C. Unplugged the fridge from the controller and plugged it straight into the wall, working perfectly fine. What? Stupid dummy forgot to change the temp differential back to 0.3C from 2C from when I had the probe just dangling in the fridge. :lol:

Obviously was never gonna cause any problems but I felt silly afterwards. :p

pist said:
Overfill fermenter somehow leading to a massive Krausen explosion and beer everywhere in the fermenting fridge
Yep, got that at the moment. Just finished cleaning up the fermenting freezer.

I don't think it's a 30 litre fermenter as there was bugger all room left after 25litres went in. And the yeast has just gone nuts.

Anyway, here's to beer

Not a huge amount for me.

Almost forgot to add hops.
Forgot brewbrite once.
Froze a fermenter of beer.
Forgot to set the temp controller back to 18 degrees and ended up with 1 degree wort the day after pitching yeast.

Tore fingernail off.

Unboxed brand spankers Mashmaster minimill paid for with employee award. Adored the shiny hue and alluring lustre. She was begging to turn.

Mounted Bosch drill in the vice and mated the mill's shaft into chuck caressing it perfectly in-line. Foreplay, low rpm. Atmosphere electric. Started whispering to it. Both hands on the frame imagining the different crushing positions. Called her Dixie, I felt a shudder. Did something move?

Knurling so sharp, biting frame side underneath. Confusion now, I know how to treat a lady.

Electricity now completely off and silence. In the mire of climax lost I felt my left hand's little finger nail now perpendicular to the plane, air soaking the exposed nerves. Breathing intensifies, chest contracts, son comes to show me his toy fire engine.

Emerging from the fuzziness I regained my memory....Goldie, she said her name was Goldie.

Coodgee said:
wow some of those are disaster scenarios. especially the last one!
Na, that ones no biggie..

PBW in the mash however was, turns out PBW and 5.2 stabiliser look identical from the top...

Only once.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Set hair on fire.

Pallet rack brewery, top row has HLT on a BG14 style burner. Mash tun below it mashing, heating sparge in HLT. Moved in to make a visual inspection of mash from above, flames jumped onto elvis man-doo incinerating follicles, good looks and pride. Fumigated the second story with floorboard penetrating hair smoke.

No love made with wife that night. Currently sporting angry anderson makeover.
Oh to have hair to set on fire...

Wasn't so much a "brew day" but more of a pre-brew day test. Set up my KK mag drive pump and attached all the fittings.
First, forgot to tighten them. Water everywhere
Second, forgot to add some thread tape around the connectors on the pump
Third, when tightening the fittings onto the pump, lost concentration for one second then realised I'd cross threaded the plastic thread on the pump head... BADLY. Ended up hacking off the half cm of destroyed thread to get it on.... yeah, I'm gonna get the stainless pump head now.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Set hair on fire.
Its what all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

4221396001_4295577009001_5SOS.jpg

You guys just had to didn't ya!!!

Talk about bad omens, read through this last night.

got up at 6am this morning, get the brew on I say. I had a little cleaning to do before mash in. The rig had sat idle for a month, so with that done I mashed in using the small malt pipe (first mistake) grain bill 11.3 kg push the envelope just a tad. Started the recirc all going well until the third pump break, the bottom seal on the malt pipe lets go and my recirc is no longer going through the grain at all. Quick assessment and I decide to lift the malt pipe and replace the BM seal (don't try this without a crane, I have one, so all good). 67c don't sound all that hot does it lads? yeah it's bloody hot!!any way got it all back together probably droped to below 60 for 10 mins.

What the hell I made beer. and boil is done once I post this.

Need a beer now :unsure:

First batch on the new 130L system, didn't have anything to keep the grain bag off the elements and thought I had the bag suspended high enough.

A few minutes into the mash and there was a hint of burn filling the shed. Hoisted the bag to find a nice big hole in the base and all the grain now in the pot.

Thankfully that's probably been the worst stuff up thus far. Plenty of time left to change that though.

The Judge said:
I reckon MXD probably drinks just a little bit too much on brewdays :D
How do you think I know how long to boil for and mash for, 1 pint 20 minutes.

Works well except except the 2 hr mash and 2 hr boils :)

My first AG stovetop was a few months ago now, my first brew went along the lines of mash, boil and then the problem started.
After reading all the posts on cooling the wort, decided to put the Big W pot into the bath, and trickle cold water into said bath to chill the wort down. Left the bathroom went to the computer and unfortunately, got a little distracted on reading one of the posts on AHB and forgot the bath was still running. Some time later I heard this funny noise and went "oh no" (won't publish the words actually used). Raced back to the bathroom and the bath was overflowing, I had a good inch of water all over the bathroom floor, bedroom floor and part of the hall. Damn, and the misses was due home, right about now! Grabs the mop and starts tying to enter damage control mode. Guess who arrives home and discovers husband with a mop in his hand and looking just a trifle sheepish. Ahh well, just as well she loves me. No permanent damage, thats the main thing. Have definitely learnt the lesson of not leaving the tap running if I am not in the room LOL

Back