Your Thoughts On Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simpletotoro

Reaction score
Hi...i am about to do a wheat kit...with extract for sugars and got to thinking what peoples ideas for hop combinations are...also what type of hops suit the different styles of beers (ales, wheat,lagers etc)
and what methods they use (infused, boiled in extract <if boiled how long?> etc..)

cheers Simple

Have a look through the recipes that people have uploaded. That will give you a fair indication.

Plenty of info on the site, have a search. For a wheat you're generally best with the German Nobles, Hallertau, Saaz that kinda thing.

Edit: All right, I've been caught out. Saaz isn't German, it's Czech. Someone's also suggested Tettananger, but I wouldn't.

Hi...i am about to do a wheat kit...with extract for sugars and got to thinking what peoples ideas for hop combinations are...also what type of hops suit the different styles of beers (ales, wheat,lagers etc)
and what methods they use (infused, boiled in extract <if boiled how long?> etc..)

cheers Simple

I've posted this before but can't find how to easily link to it so here it is again - a guide I've been putting together on various hops and where they can go etc.

As for how to use them, as someone said, read the recipes etc... but as a very general rule with all types of exceptions, bittering hops boiled for 60-45, flavour for 20-10 and aroma at the end.

They should be boiled in some extract to help extract the biterness and flavour...

View attachment hopsguide.xls

Thanks everyone...for the replies....I'm pretty new at all this and am trying to get a handle on it all...i got onto the recipes and browsed through them ....mostly all grain but i figure the hop part is the same for extract as well so i'll get heaps of ideas from them....down loaded that attachment bconnery that was extactly what i was wishing for really appreicate that. (i did actually try to do a search but if you put wheat and hops into the engine you pretty much get every thread ...i don't have enough expertise to refine the search any more)...

thanks again for all replies

cheers simple

bconnery that hopsguide is fantastic! Thank you for posting. Just the ticket for the learner.

Is that yours or someone else's IP? If it's all yours, perhaps it would be a useful addition to the wiki?

The initial version was made with information pulled from a couple of sites, then I've added in more details and new hops as well.

Not sure about IP but given that the information on the sites I got it from must have been pulled from somewhere and some of it is direct from hop growers, via the details on craftbrewer, then I would say it is probably distributed enough to be considered ok...

Anyways, happy for someone to place it in the Wiki, I don't consider it as belonging to me, just something I put together for my reference...

Bloody hell bconnery, that guide is awesome, it has already been saved to my computer for future use. I think i might back it up on CD, floppy disk and USB as well. Definitely will help with future brews!

Another way to to go to the sponsor's web sites and read their descriptions.

Bare in mind that one man's "citrus" is another man's "dishwashing liquid"....

Latest posts

Back