Your Oldest (successful) Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
G'day all,

I am in the process of getting ready to brew a Wheatie & found a starter of Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3056 at the back of the fridge that I got in a swap ages ago.

The date on the stubbie was October '05 (That's a little short of 2.5 years) & I was pleasantly surprised when it took off on the stir plate with no hassles at all. :super:

I am sure there must be others on the Forum who can outdo this so how old was the oldest liquid yeast that you have got going successfully?

TP :beer:

G'day all,

I am in the process of getting ready to brew a Wheatie & found a starter of Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3056 at the back of the fridge that I got in a swap ages ago.

The date on the stubbie was October '05 (That's a little short of 2.5 years) & I was pleasantly surprised when it took off on the stir plate with no hassles at all. :super:

I am sure there must be others on the Forum who can outdo this so how old was the oldest liquid yeast that you have got going successfully?

TP :beer:

I recently made a bitter and an alt from 2 year old samples. Both were a bit slow to start, but once pitched into the beer brewed fine. Im almost finished the keg of bitter, and it is quite nice. THe alt fermented right down to 1007 or 8. Dont like it but i smashed it to death with hops, and mashed low, so it is too bitter and dry at the moment for me.

Hi TP
I have a Wyeast Sweet Mead from Oct 04 sitting in the cool room, looks to be in good shape, I plan on busting it in October this year to see what happens.You just never know.Interesting post.
GB

I read that whitbread yeast was recovered from a bottle
on a ship wreck ~150 years old. :)

here's another link for Flag Porter HERE

it's something i've dreamed about getting my hands on as well and culturing it up.

Rob.

here's another link for Flag Porter HERE

it's something i've dreamed about getting my hands on as well and culturing it up.

Rob.

Is it the same as the wyeast whitbread yeast? 1099 I think?

Hey Braufrau,

here's the details of witbread from wyeast, the description sounds close but i find it wierd they don't list porter
as a style to use this yeast with, if it was recultured from one?

YEAST STRAIN: 1099 | Whitbread Ale

A mildly malty and slightly fruity fermentation profile; not as tart and dry as 1098 and much more flocculent. Clears well without filtration. Low fermentation temperatures will produce a clean finish with a very low ester profile.

Origin:
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 68-72%
Temperature Range: 64-75F, 18-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

Styles:
Blonde Ale
English IPA
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Oatmeal Stout
Southern English Brown
Special/Best/Premium Bitter
Standard/Ordinary Bitter
Sweet Stout

Ahhh ... I think the flag porter was made with the yeast from the shipwreck ... original linky
but the recipe was sourced from the whitbread brewery.

The wyeast whitbread yeast (actually 1098 and 1099 come form that brewery) comes from the whitbread brewery. MyMalty (of course)

So its not the wyeast one. You'd have to get it from the bottle.

Sounds interesting ...
"And thanks to the shipwreck, it contains a genuine porter yeast that seasons the beer with a range of spicy and vinous flavors and converts the sugar into alcohol."

Although I don't think its the shipwreck that caused the yeast to convert sugar to alcohol though! :)

Used a WLP500 vial last week that was 15 months old (jan07), built the starter up over a week, and when pitched was fermenting within about 6 hours

Yeast is an amazing creature,that survives alot.My oldest was a 1728,4 years old, my first liquid yeast.

It is active as i type

Ahhh ... I think the flag porter was made with the yeast from the shipwreck ... original linky
but the recipe was sourced from the whitbread brewery.

The wyeast whitbread yeast (actually 1098 and 1099 come form that brewery) comes from the whitbread brewery. MyMalty (of course)

So its not the wyeast one. You'd have to get it from the bottle.

Sounds interesting ...
"And thanks to the shipwreck, it contains a genuine porter yeast that seasons the beer with a range of spicy and vinous flavors and converts the sugar into alcohol."

Although I don't think its the shipwreck that caused the yeast to convert sugar to alcohol though! :)

braufrau luv I agree after a long journey with footscray,they won

Opps off topic

8 months old is the longest here (
but that was just a smack and pour - no starter made). Actually Im trying to make a starter with a 2 month old wyeast Scottish since Thursday. Its not looking good :(. no action in the bottle as yet. I hope I havent f*cked it somehow

Tried to revive a 3.5 year old split of WY3068, kept in a fridge. After a couple of weeks Nada except for some skank and perhaps a small wild yeast infection :)

Managed to pick up a fresh WY3068 from Country brewer, was only 3 weeks old! And the packet swelled to 50% within an hour... dang.

WY530 11months took 2 days to kick on the plate but when it did it went really well

What! I just chucked out a stack because it was 2 months old. Damb!

Actually I heard some mad science brewers pondering the idea of reviving yeast from ancient ruins of beer holding pottery
to get a taste of the Old Age.

It must have been at least good enough back then to evolve 10,000 years to our modern day.

Mine was original packing kept in fridge except for the 3 days while we moved. I was actually a little surprised thought it was well gone. Gotta get me some vials and glycerin start some longer term storage

Latest posts

Back