Your Favourite Beer Style To Brew, House Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My standard brew is an AG version of Australian Sparkling Ale in the Cooper's style. That's my drink after I get home from work. Otherwise I vary my brews depending on the season as I like to age them for some time...

If I'm short on time, I'll do an extract version of the ASA which I can get close but never quite as good as the AG version. If I'm really short on time or are making beer for Christmas parties etc, I just use a cooper's kit :D

The original Skunk Fart Pale Ale was my first AG and it remains a firm favorite and I always feel a bit toey when a keg blows without another one to replace it.
It's such a fun and forgiving recipe to mess with so you can try your different grains and yeasts without too much risk of a dud batch.
There will always be something Belgian and something big and dark on the other two taps and perhaps a crowd pleaser on the other.
And Barry, you are a legend :icon_cheers:

The one beer I've brewed a few times, and tend to brew at least once a years is my (lower ABV) American Amber Ale. It's never been brewed identically, but the beer remains very similar as I'm aiming for the same flavours, just sometimes like to try different yeasts or hopping.

The grist remains very similar batch to batch, 54% Ale Malt, 19% Munich, 18.5% Vienna, 3.5% Melanoidin, 3% Caramunich II (or Med Crystal) and 2% Choc malt. OG of 1.044-1.046 depending on the yeast I'm using (WY1056, 1272 or 1968) but I aim for 4.2% ABV.

Hopping is a hopburst (20, 10, 15, 5, 0) of whatever takes my fancy to 30IBU. Last time it was a blend of Galaxy, Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo. I have tried Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo on their own, and also a blend with Cascade as opposed to Galaxy.

APA's are alwasy at the top my my list as i love the hop character and the rate at which it gets from grain to brain. ;)

I dont mind knocking out a Cream ale once in a while too, also due to its turnaround time. Ive only done 4 lagers so far, the wait is worthwhile but its the wait which turns me fro it being my staple beer. For all round drinkability anytime of the year it would have to putit to the APA, IPA or Cream ale(especially for a 40 deg day!) You just cant beat them.

When brewing i ususally make every 2nd or 3rd beer a Pale ale just to keep the session keg in rotation and brew other styles in-between. If i have a robust porter and say a high alc keg on tap at the same time, it really slows down the rotation for me. Usually my darks will last twice as long as the pales.

Done 13 AG brews so far the 5 were APA's and 5 Amber ales. I think the Amber ales are my favourite.

Mild, Bitter, Red....the red's been getting a big look in lately.

Most of the time I have an APA on tap in one form or another. I have a fairly simple grain bill that I stick with and stuff around with hop variations/schedules/quantities.

I have recently been working on a dry stout recipe that I like, with a view to always having one on tap (because only a stout will do sometimes).

Hello All,

Im about to embark on my 10th AG Brew and have been mostly Brewing some recipes through the Recipe DB, they have all been nice beers but some better than others..

I have sorted out some Favourites so far that I would like to brew again, but at the same time would like to keep working through some various styles and going from there..

The questions are:
  1. What is your most favourite style of beer that you brew over and over?

Def APA. Tony's LCBA and all its variations.
  2. Have you brewed a whole lot of different styles and then worked out what youi want to brew from there?

Yes. APA is easiest and a good standard house brew, that everyone (mostly) likes
  3. Do you just have a Beer on tap that you have on tap all the time(house beer) and then vary/experiment with other beers for the other Tap/Taps?

Exactly what I do. The LCBA on tap 1, then muck around with wheats, browns and lagers on the other two taps. Life's tough B)
I have so far, really enjoyed, My first Wit Beer(awesome), Amber Ale(Trough Lolly)(great complexity of flavours), Ross's N.S Summer Ale(love N.S) and really enjoy an I.P.A(next on the list)..

Cheers
:icon_cheers: CB

APA would still be my favourite brew, although I'm also enjoying brewing different styles. I haven't brewed enough yet to have an actual "house" ale, but I'm probably only a few brews away from being able to laminate the brewsheet :) Currently drinking my variant of a golden ale with a blend of amarillo and cascade hops for flavours and it's quite enjoyable :)

Looking forward to the english bitter I have fermenting currently as well, a subtle combo of EKG and Target hops should be nice.

i love a good chinook/cascade combo APA or my western wheat...either of those is always on one tap with an IPA coming up behind...

Tony's LCBA is a definite main stay, love reds so FatZ "Better red than dead" will remain on the menu from there I'm open to different brews and experimentation.

I'm probably a stout tragic. 3 Shades and to a lesser-extent 4 Shades are my fave. It's a lonely house without a stout on tap. :D

Warren -

Having most success with lagers (Vienna/Oktoberfest/no real style at all), I love making life difficult for myself.

I must develop a good red and/or a Special Bitter. The fruit salad APAs just aren't my thing these days.

Latest posts

Back