Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PostModern said:
SJW said:
If i was to make up i nice stout how much dark choc should i melt to put in the primary?
I recently made a "Kitchen Sink Coopers Kit Triple Chocolate Stout Partial Mash".

I used 200g of dark cooking choc boiled for the whole 60 mins. I also added Choc Malt and 2 tablespoons of Cadbury Coco. Still not nearly chocolatey enough for my liking :) The partial mash included ale malt, wheat malt, choc malt, caramunich and munich.

I'd use the whole 300g block if I was to attempt such a monstrosity again. That said, tho, it really is quite a nice beer.
I think boiling the chocolate for such a long time would drive of any flavour or aroma benefits. Why not just throw chocalate and coco at the end of the boil?
PoMo, your style Naziism is going out the window :p !

What are other peoples methods when brewing a chocolate stout?

C&B
TDA

Cooking chocolate contains lots of oils which float in water. The 60 min boil lets you skim them off with the hot break. Boiling is necessary if using cooking choc, imo. I added the coco near the end of the boil, just to sterilise it.

Nothing wrong with brewing non-stylised beers either. Just don't call them by recognised names. "Kitchen Sink Coopers Kit Triple Chocolate Stout Partial Mash" doesn't make make it out to be a "16A. Dry Stout" does it now? :) Hell I even brewed a whacky concoction of CaraMunich, Ale malt, DME, Tettnang and Saaz fermented with WLP001 once. It was a nice drop, but certainly not an "6B. American Amber Ale" which is why I called it "Flemish Signalman's Ale".

Bah, it's all good ;)

Latest posts

Back