You wouldn't want a warm beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i-a-n

Reaction score
As someone who lived most of his life in the land of the Poms my first love, drink wise is English beer, mainly bitters.
As we all know, it's served at cellar to room temperature. Great, it means it can be quaffed. Big gobfulls, unlike the sips we take from our frozen schooners in the pubs here.
It can be tasted, the taste buds aren't anesthetised in the cold. A good example, let a Tooheys Old come up in temperature and it's a classic British brown ale taste.

What do you blokes think? "warm" as beer is traditionally enjoyed or cold as since the use of commercial refrigeration became popular?

I love me a nice cellar temp English ale any day of the week. Preferably pulled through an engine.

Megaswill is served that way to disguise its vile taste.

As Sam Caligione from Dogfish head once said..The diference between a mass produced lager and a craft beer is let them both warm up and see which one still tastes ok.

7-10 degrees for me for most beer styles is about perfect. Exceptions when it's 40 degrees outside and ice cold beer is just a refreshment rather than a beverage.

Truman said:
Megaswill is served that way to disguise its vile taste.
As Sam Caligione from Dogfish head once said..The diference between a mass produced lager and a craft beer is let them both warm up and see which one still tastes ok.
Heh. Harsh but true... only had to drink VB warm once (uni days, and out of desperation - honest!) to appreciate that fact.

I haven't done any real largers yet, but I certainly don't mind my own ales served at "garage" temperature in 3 out of 4 seasons.

Even some of the American IPA's taste better warm, well not over 10 degrees especially the ones where you can taste the malt coming through, not the overly hopped pish.

I drink my american amber ales at cellar temp. That is about 12c for me. You can actually taste the caramel.

If you drink beer too cold you can't taste it. I have my beer fridge set to 8C, that's as warm as it will go. I prefer about 12C for most of the beers I drink (IIPA's, lambics, flanders reds, other sours).

In winter I prefer my Russian Imperial Stouts a little warmer, 14-16c.

Kranky said:
If you drink beer too cold you can't taste it. I have my beer fridge set to 8C, that's as warm as it will go. I prefer about 12C for most of the beers I drink (IIPA's, lambics, flanders reds, other sours).

In winter I prefer my Russian Imperial Stouts a little warmer, 14-16c.
Got a spare stc? Otherwise just peel some of the door seal off. That'll bump the temp up a few degrees. B)

I'd have to agree with the 16c for stout. Earlier this year I grabbed a stout out of the beer room and proceeded to drink it. It was at the perfect temp for me so naturally I had to measure it to find out.

My keg fridge is controlled by a mashmaster fridgemate original. Only just assembled about 2 weeks ago.

Temp is set to 10°C, but the temp has been known to dip lower due to ambient temp. Fridge doesn't run very often since the fridge controller was installed.

My Pliny clone and the Bitter on tap are quite tasty at that temp and you can definitely taste not only the caramel in both, but all the nuances of the W1469 yeast and the Marris malt.

I have consumed some of my more mature beers at 14° or higher to experience all the characters therein.

edit: punk-tuation

My favourite is British cask ale. I do like cold keg ale and even the occasional lager at the pub in summer though.

I also like the fact that cask ale is about the easiest draught beer you can brew and serve at home without any special kegs or equipment as cubes are so cheap easy to get hold of and are all you need to serve real ale.

The weather here is perfect at the moment so I’ve turned off the brew fridges. I’m fermenting at ambient then cubing/casking/keging or whatever you want to call it then storing the cubes outdoors in an old fridge in a cool shaded aria.

Horses for courses I think. It's a disservice to drink a decent ale at super-cold temps, just like it's a disservice to your tastebuds to drink a Carlton Draught/New/Swan Lager etc. warm. Temp to suit the style, and the style is up to the drinker.
So on that basis, 'warm' as traditionally enjoyed with beer as traditionally brewed. Except under the beating Aussie sun after mowing the lawn or hitting a few 6 and outs over the fence.

Online Brewing Supplies said:
If it were a choice between a little too cold and a little too warm ,I would go too cold.

Nev
yes I'm an Aussie too! :super:

Refrigeration is a celebration of our 1st world awesomeness. Embrace it.

4 deg all day baby.

The one main thing you missed out ian it is flat warm beer, that is the main reason they can be knocked back, I would like to see the pubs which serve English ales install a beer engine and get rid of the carbonated kegs.

TheWiggman said:
Horses for courses I think. It's a disservice to drink a decent ale at super-cold temps, just like it's a disservice to your tastebuds to drink a Carlton Draught/New/Swan Lager etc. warm. Temp to suit the style, and the style is up to the drinker.
I'm with you on this one. I do have all my beers in the fridge below 4 degrees to cold chill however depending on the style and/or purpose I allow the beer I'm going to drink to warm up to the suitable temperature. if your dare how can you swallow West End draught, Tooheys new/dry,Swan, XXXX and the likes even frozen- :icon_drool2:
Cheers

Back