Yet Another Lagering Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
I've just wacked my SMASH pilsner (potential candidate for vic case swap) in the fridge for cold conditioning/lagering. I intend to leave it there until the end of October after which I'll bottle.

However I cold condition every brew I make for 5-7 days (which could drop to 3 days for current purposes). If I have a brew that needs to go into my fridge for cc-ing, will it adversely affect my pilsner if I take it out and put it in my sink of iced water (ice is ice bricks plus frozen one and two litre bottles - temp of immersed brew usually reaches a max of 10 deg) while I use the fridge for a different brew? Should I find a different method of clarification/maturing during my pilsner months?

Cheers

I have the same dilemna.
I'm lagering a BoPils at present, but will need the fridge for next week's planned Hefeweizen.

Might just take the chance and take the BoPils out for 3 or 4 days till the Hefe is mostly done.

I am probably the wrong person to give advice at the moment.
I find the more I move the beer and vary the temperature the bigger the chance of ruining it.

Though if proper care is taken I think you may be safe.

Sound like you need another fridge.

I am probably the wrong person to give advice at the moment.
I find the more I move the beer and vary the temperature the bigger the chance of ruining it.

Though if proper care is taken I think you may be safe.

Sound like you need another fridge.

Not an option. I have a fridge for groceries and a fridge for beer. No room and no funds for a third.

What I may do is try cold conditioning/maturing the other brews in the sink of ice and leave the pilsner in the fridge.

What I may do is try cold conditioning/maturing the other brews in the sink of ice and leave the pilsner in the fridge.

Yup, i'd be doing that. You don't really need sub 8C temps for CC'ing ales, anywhere under 12C should be enough i'd think, main thing is some time to help them clean up.

You'll probably find the pils only really needs a month anyway, any longer than that i've found the oxidation risk too great for not much change in the flavour.

are the other brews ales, or also lagers? if they are ales, then this would be the better option imo.

edit: pipped at the post.

Yeah all ales. Chimay white clone, golden ale with german hops and fatzgodzilla's irish red with a dubbel attempt on the cards.

Back