Yesty Beasties And Hops ..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mredgy

Reaction score
I cultured up some Coopers Pale Ale yeast from the bottle and made a lovely batch of pale ale with it.

Now I have moved the beer from the primary to the secondary and have saved the yeast cake into a sterilised Coke bottle. It is a lovely green colour due to all the hops.

My question is:

Is it alright with all those hops in there?

Is there a way to remove them if not?

My plan is to split it into 6 stubbies, so I have 6 starters saved up.

At the price of buying another coopers stubbie. maybe $3, you get a decent beer, and the yeast, i dont think i would bother. The hops will impart come taste in your next brew, but not too much. HSould be able to filter it through a very fine sieve or similar and get a decent amount of yeast still. However the more things you put it in contact with. The mroe chance of infection.

Mredgy,

At the risk of repeating stuff that was mentioned a couple of days ago (just in case you didn't search - sorry if U did), here is Chiller's guide to yeast propagation.

This technique will remove the sedimented hops and other crud (technical term).

Please read the linked material and propagate like a champion.

Or just buy more Coopers beer. U don't wanna look like a cheapskate, do U?

Seth out :p

Cheers for that.

I did a quick search but didn't see that one.

I currently purchase about 8 - 10 longnecks of coopers per week, specifically to get the crown seals wouldn't you know :p

I just thought it would be easier with such a huge amount of yeast, rather than the tedious process of a little from each longneck.

Hi there

Batz wrote a great thread on starting yeast as well which is airlocked in this forum. You can find it here.

There's also a thread on Culturing Yeast from Commercial Bottles. Search here and on Grumpy's for this one.

Reagarding it being easier to use the yeast cake as, 'there is such a huge amount of yeast,' from what I have read, sometimes people pitch their following brew straight into the fermenter on top of their old yeast cake. They may do this once or twice - I am unsure.

Doing this, sounds a little suss to me as the yeast cake does not just contain yeast but also, from what limited knowledge I have, a lot of undesirables. This is one of the reasons people rack their beer. Others here will hopefully enlighten us!

Cheers
PP

As seth says wash it if u must,but coopers is freely available and easy to culture fresh each time. washing as per chillers instructions is worthwhile for wyeast strains etc....value for money.

I do a weizen and dunkelweizen as consecutive brews and pitch straight on to the yeast cake with good results.goes off like a volcano :blink:

So what I gather (and please corrrect me if I'm wrong) is that I should add some distilled water to this, then shake and leave for a bit, and pour off the top bit, and discard the bottom. Repeat as required until very little hops etc left?

Coopers yeast clumps together pretty well, so I'm wondering how well it will stay in suspension...seems to sink pretty quickly in my beer glasses.

mredgy said:
Cheers for that.

I did a quick search but didn't see that one.

I currently purchase about 8 - 10 longnecks of coopers per week, specifically to get the crown seals wouldn't you know :p

I just thought it would be easier with such a huge amount of yeast, rather than the tedious process of a little from each longneck.
[post="109015"][/post]​
Dude,

Are U culturing the yeast, or just tossing all the dregs in to the batch?

Go for it with your yeast cake. No need to save to a bottle, although I sometimes do. As long as you're happy that the beer is tasting OK, then the yeast cake is fine. You could pitch the next batch on to the yeast cake just after racking the current batch to a secondary fermentor. Have done this myself and watched the next batch go spastic.

Don't want to give negative reinforcement here, only encouragement.

Seth :p

I cultured it from the dregs from each bottle (hoping I have the right terminology).

I emptied the bottom 2cm from about 4 longneccks into a coke bottle with some wort. slowlyu stepping it up oer about 5 days until I had a goodly amount.

It worked perfectly, brewed out the last batch nicely, but I was hoping to avoid stepping for 5 days or so if I could, and just chuck 1/6th of that mixture into a coke bottle with some wort about 2days before brew day and away I go....

I must admit I am getting lazier. The cleanliness can't suffer, nor the final quality of the product, but I am looking for shortcuts :p

Latest posts

Back