Yeasty Tastes?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droopy Brew

Reaction score
So I have put down an ESB Pilsner can with the kit yeast.

Problem was that I switched the ferment fridge on without checking and it was set to cold crash last so I come in the next arvo (about 24 hours after) and it is at 3C.

So I have some bloody sleepy yeasties.

I gave it a couple of days to come up and after 4 days in the fermenter it has attenuated from 1060 to 1030. All good.

Except my sample tastes have a very yeasty- probably bready taste.

I have 2 theories-
1) the yeast sank when it got cold and is bottom fermenting so my samples(drawn from the bottom) have a higher amount of yeast than when normally top fermenting.
2) The stress of the chill down has caused the yeast to produce these flavours.

Can anyone comment and if there are any potential issues or if the taste should clear up or is there something I could do to rectify it?

Cheers,

Love ya screen name!!

In my uneducated professional opinion, I would try to get it back to the starting temperature and then break the seal on give it a good stir with a sterilised spoon. My thinking would be to try and get the yeast going again and mixed evenly through your brew, and also to mix any anomaly flavours through to try and minimise their effects.

Of course ya run the risk of getting a beer infection, but I figure ya have nothing to loose at this point.

Did I say I love your screen name???

4 days is a little early, and 1.030 a little high to be worrying.

Give it another week, and when you take a sample next time, leave it 20 minutes for the yeast to settle before tasting.

The yeasties are obviously working, give them time to finish up the sugars and clean up after themselves.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Sort of confirmed my thoughts. Still very cloudy with plenty of yeast in suspension so a few days at 3C after it has fermented out should drop the little feckers.

Droopy- Brewers droop was already taken so droopey brew it is. Kudos on your handle- obviously a man of fine taste.

Back