Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappy71

Reaction score
Hi, with yeast, is it best to buy a fresh one or just use the one that came with the kits?

There are much better yeasts than those supplied with the kits. What are you planning to brew? We should be able to point you in the right direction once you tell us.

Hi, with yeast, is it best to buy a fresh one or just use the one that came with the kits?

just use the one with the kit. It should work fine so long as the temp of fermentation is within the range and your wort isn't to hot when you add it.

Good Luck

Aaron

There are much better yeasts than those supplied with the kits. What are you planning to brew? We should be able to point you in the right direction once you tell us.
I have just bought the morgans saaz golden pilsner, the yeast under the lid said it was a lager yeast with a range of 15-30

just use the one with the kit. It should work fine so long as the temp of fermentation is within the range and your wort isn't to hot when you add it.

Good Luck

Aaron

+1 best to master the temperature control first.

What are your methods, I guess at the moment given the weather you should be able to brew a lager in the low ranges. (with that kit yeast - try and keep it between 15-18 degs)

You will get conflicting information.

The best way is probably to try both.

My understanding is that the main problem with a lot of kit yeasts is the potential freshness and the fact that you may underpitch with such a small amount.
It also depends on the kit as to what yeast it actually is - some of the yeasts are apparently quite good and very tolerant.

Whatever you choose you should make sure that the yeast is fresh and if you buy new stuff from a home brew place, it should be refrigerated. The most important thing following that is how you treat the yeast.

Temp ranges on kits will give you the uppermost temperatures within which the yeast will work. This does not mean it will make good beer. If you use them in a lower range you will get better results. This means pitching and maintaining that temp during fermentation. If you have an ale yeast it is preferable to pitch and ferment around 18-20. If you have a proper lager yeast (and not all lager kits contain lager yeasts) you need to keep the temp closer to 10-12 (7-14 is absolute limits either side).

Getting to work with different yeasts is good and gives you an awareness of different flavours different strains produce but the essential part is treating it properly. Buying expensive yeasts will not automatically make good beer and using kit yeast does not automatically make a bad one.

My understanding is that the main problem with a lot of kit yeasts is the potential freshness and the fact that you may underpitch with such a small amount.
It also depends on the kit as to what yeast it actually is - some of the yeasts are apparently quite good and very tolerant.

correct on all 3 counts. ;)

Many (experienced) brewers will say ditch the kit yeast....the main reasons for that are the freshness (cos yeast should be stored in a fridge, not on a shelf), and the uncertainty of what yeast exactly you are getting (and as a result, the pitching rate and best temperature is down to guesswork)....

Hi all, didnt want to start a new thread I just have a quick questain. I bought a ESB 3kg Czech Pilsner kit and the guy in the HB store gave me Saf T-58 to go with it, is this gonna turn out ok or should I get a differnt yeast? I dont have temp control so lager yeast is kinda out of the questain but from what iv read T-58 is for Belgian style beers.

Hi all, didnt want to start a new thread I just have a quick questain. I bought a ESB 3kg Czech Pilsner kit and the guy in the HB store gave me Saf T-58 to go with it, is this gonna turn out ok or should I get a differnt yeast? I dont have temp control so lager yeast is kinda out of the questain but from what iv read T-58 is for Belgian style beers.

The guy at the brewshop either wanted you to make a Belgian influenced beer or he didn't know what he was talking about (i.e if he thinks T-58 is an ideal yeast for a Pilsner). There is debate on the origins of the T-58 but it will produce flavours similar to those found in some Belgian beers. Fermented at 21/22c and higher can give a spicy/peppery result.

Whether you use the yeast depends on your taste. Do you like Belgian Pales? Many people would argue that it's not a great yeast when compared to some of the liquid yeasts but it can produce quite good beer (ceteris parabus). If it was me; I would use the yeast and forget about any notion of it being a pilsner.

Back