Yeastie Beasties ♥ All-grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samhighley

Dyslexic beer dog
Reaction score
I've got my first all-grain fermenting at the moment, and holy crap i've never seen such a huge krausen from US-05.

So, do the yeastie-beasties prefer the all-grain goodness, or am I imagining it?

I've got my first all-grain fermenting at the moment, and holy crap i've never seen such a huge krausen from US-05.

So, do the yeastie-beasties prefer the all-grain goodness, or am I imagining it?

Don't open the fermenter lid or else they will jump out and eat you too !!!!

One packet of yeast or reused trub ? Temperature you are brewing at ? OG of the wort ?

Don't open the fermenter lid or else they will jump out and eat you too !!!!

One packet of yeast or reused trub ? Temperature you are brewing at ? OG of the wort ?

Smurto's golden ale, OG 48, one packet of Craftbrewer American Ale (aka US-05).

Fermenting at 19C.

Just took a sample after 4 days of fermentation and we're down to 1018 and tasting delicious.

No affiliation, but I think it has more to do with the yeast's viability than the wort (although if I were a yeast organism I would always prefer all grain ;-)

Ross' dry yeasts have always been very good performers for me, very short lag times whenever I have used them.

yeasties do indeed love the AG, fresh nutrients FTW. i've underpitched AG wort on many occasions, and there's a bit extra lag phase but still get the explosive ferment.

I'm fermenting an all grain APA at present at 18 to 19C, and it's doing the same thing.
It's a vigorous yeast, and 3 to 4 days will often see it done.
I normally leave it for 2 weeks in the fermenter to allow it to finish the job properly and clean up after itself.
The beer always falls bright even after only a week or so in the bottle.

You have a lot of things in your favour.
US-05 is a great yeast, and whilst I am primarily a Wyeast user if I were to use any dry yeast it would be US-05.
You bought the yeast off Craftbrewer. (no affiliation). Craftbrewer yeasts are packed in oxygen barrier "foil" and with their turnover are as fresh as you can get. Yeast sored in those clear plastic zip-locks, whether refrigerated or not rapidly loses its viability. There are two reasons for this, the number of viable yeast cells deplete and, importantly the glycogen levels rapidly deteriorate. Your yeast was in top condition.
All grain worts have significantly higher levels of free amino nitrogen (FAN) which is conducive to healthy fermantation.
So all in all it was a very good condition for fermentation !!

K

Funny you should bring this up. Last week I racked an american pale ale straight onto the trub of a similar style brew in which I used US-05 yeast at about 22 degrees. The result - 24 hours from 1048 to 1006, a bit of a mess in the fridge (boiled out through the airlock) but more importantly, grain to brain (via keg) in 48 hours. Even tasted good and was reasonably clear.

Is this some kind of AG record?

Before you ask me about yeast multipilication, temp control, off tastes, protein haze and diacetyl rests, I didnt mean it but it actually happened.

Imagine yeast eat seafood.

and now imagine your a yeast cell.

take 2 lobster tails, one dehydraqted to store over time and then soaked in water to bring it back to normal.

the other freshly cooked and ready to eat...... still warm.

which one would make you froth at the mouth more?

:)

cheers

Good to know i'm not imagining it then.

Now, if I could just source some flaked oats ... *cough*

Ok, i'm imagining i'm a yeast cell:

*HOLY CRAP* look at the size of that lobster!!! aarrrrhgggghhhh.

Not sure if you're having a piss take or not...... :blink: , but you ever heard of Uncle Toby's?

Uncle Toby's oat flakes have all sorts of other crap in them, and are generally about half actual oats. Throw rice, wheat, sugar, honey, salt, vitamins and iron into the mix.

I dunno mate, I don't use them. I'm lucky enough to have a LHBS that stocks malted oats... :D

Back