YeastCalc Pitch Rate Calculator now at yeastcalc.co

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi mckenry, the -76 means that is below 0, so all the yeast is dead. I suppose i should change it so it does not show negative values because its a bit confusing

yeastcalc said:
Hi mckenry, the -76 means that is below 0, so all the yeast is dead. I suppose i should change it so it does not show negative values because its a bit confusing
The problem is, its not dead. The smack pack swelled. It took 3 days, but it swelled. I have 'renewed' yeast thats been dormant for over 12 months no problem. Mr. Malty etc always just gave 1% viability after a certain amount of time. Cant remember what though.

Did you send JZ and email? Check out the calculations in the yeast book?

Even send white labs and email, they are reportedly quite good at helping with this sort of thing.

A couple of questions;
Why did you remove the inoculation rate? I thought having that was a great idea - now I dont know if I'm in the 25-100mill/mL range.
Why is the Kai Troester calculation missing? I thought these were data based on evidence rather than extrapolation of older accepted calculators?
Theres also a change in the viability calculation. Try dec 3 2013 in each. The old calc gives me 39%, the new one 18.6% - which changes the steps (if I could see the health and vitality calc)

So, Basically, I want to do an ale, of 40L at 1.058 - the old calculator gives me nice innoculation rates to keep my steps in check. The new one doesnt, so I can in theory believe that a 3L starter would be good, yet the innoculation rate at 3L is only 13mill/mL according to the old calculator.

I appreciate your effort, dont get me wrong, just want to know some whys.

Cheers, mckenry

hi mckenry, i cross referenced the data with brewers friend and mrmalty viability calculators and it seems they are ok, the old flash calculator must use a different formula. the Kai Troister calculations are there(Braukaiser)
I didnt put the innoculation rate due to lack of space, maybe i figure out a way to put it there
Yob i didnt contact jamil since i managed to find the formulas
thanks for your helkp guys

yeastcalc said:
hi mckenry, i cross referenced the data with brewers friend and mrmalty viability calculators and it seems they are ok, the old flash calculator must use a different formula. the Kai Troister calculations are there(Braukaiser)
I didnt put the innoculation rate due to lack of space, maybe i figure out a way to put it there
Yob i didnt contact jamil since i managed to find the formulas
thanks for your helkp guys
I asked you before but maybe you missed the post. Are you able to share the equations? If not it's OK, but I know my impiricle equations are not ideal. Great work, by the way.

mckenry said:
A couple of questions;
Why did you remove the inoculation rate? I thought having that was a great idea - now I dont know if I'm in the 25-100mill/mL range.
Why is the Kai Troester calculation missing? I thought these were data based on evidence rather than extrapolation of older accepted calculators?
Theres also a change in the viability calculation. Try dec 3 2013 in each. The old calc gives me 39%, the new one 18.6% - which changes the steps (if I could see the health and vitality calc)

So, Basically, I want to do an ale, of 40L at 1.058 - the old calculator gives me nice innoculation rates to keep my steps in check. The new one doesnt, so I can in theory believe that a 3L starter would be good, yet the innoculation rate at 3L is only 13mill/mL according to the old calculator.

I appreciate your effort, dont get me wrong, just want to know some whys.

Cheers, mckenry
+1

Thanks for asking that.

Hay! That's looking loads better :)

Question re the washed yeast calculator, doesn't seem to be a field for trub percentage, if someone isn't very thorough at rinsing, the percentage of true could be quite high leading to underpitching..

Keep it up, looking great, love the guy looking at his belly for the calorie calculator ;)

Hey guys, sorry if i dont keep up with the thread. verysupple, sorry i cant share the equations, but if you send me an email with the formula you think you have a problem, i will try and help you with.my email is info[at]yeastcalc[dot]com
Yob thanks for the suggestion, i will implement it as soon as i find some time. If you have any suggestions or comments feel free to contact me on the above email
Thanks guys

Just ran through a starter for a Lager and it seems there is no difference in total cells when choosing (C.White) None/Shaking or Stir Plate. Growth factor is 6 for these 3.
This is for a production date of 01/01/14. Later dates do make a difference where as (K.Troester) does alter for the different methods.

Anyone else come across this?

Also there is a huge difference between C.White and K.Troester. Not sure which one I trust.

Latest posts

Back