Kviek Pitching Rates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tried so hard to make the point without making it personal.
I wasn't having a shot as I thought was clear, sorry if you missed that.

tried so hard to make the point without making it personal.
I wasn't having a shot as I thought was clear, sorry if you missed that.
I wasn't taking it personally I was having a laugh!

I made a split batch (2 x 22L fermenters) and fermented one with a full vial of Yeast Bay liquid Sigmund's (Voss) Kveik at 28C and the other with Lalbrew Kolsch dry yeast at 16C plus diacetyl rest.

With 80% pilsner, 15% wheat and 5% Vienna malts. It came out to 1.048 and finished at about 1.009

I was expecting fruity, orange esters from the Voss, but only got a crispy, nondescript fruity/slightly earthy ale flavour. I don't know if the pitching rate or temps lower than 35C were the cause. Next time I brew a kveik, I plan to underpitch by half (dry Lalbrew Voss this time) and ramp up the temps to 35C if ambient garage temps permit to see if I can get some orange. It was a little bit of a let down, but my lager loving mates raved about it, even though it tasted nothing like a lager or kolsch. I think it's because I didn't serve them something loaded with hops for once (pussies).

The kolsch was amazing and you would hardly guess it came from the same wort.

Hope this helps, and if anyone can verify the effects of underpitching the Voss from their experience, it would be appreciated.

I'd say it was the cool temp, I don't do lagers (very often) but with ales run it hot, high abv, underpitched, and you'll get the mandarin/citrus, haven't used it with wheat though, so maybe someone else can chime in.

Back