Yeast Washing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swinging Beef

Blue Cod
Reaction score
Looking to drive my valuable "yeast dollar" further, I hear talk of yeast washing.

I often reuse the crap from the bottom of the fermenter for the next brew, but what is this washing all about?

To wash yeast you'll require phosphoric acid and either a pH meter or pH strips. The general idea is to add acid until the pH drops into the 2.1-2.3 range and hold for ~30 minutes. At that pH, bacteria will soon perish but yeast will survive a bit longer - at least the healthier cells will. Breweries will wash their yeast just before repitching (about half an hour before) as even the yeast cells will die eventually at that pH.

To do it, you generally take say 1l of thick yeast slurry in a 2-3l glass vessel (which will be unaffected by acid). Premix a small amount of acid with water in a different vessel as this diluted acid solution is more "forgiving" than trying to add acid a few drops at a time. Add some acid, test pH. Repeat until the pH falls into the 2.1-2.3 range. Allow it to sit for roughly half an hour, then pitch into fresh wort. I've pitched the whole works before and I know of some microbreweries that do the same; other people prefer to decant the liquid and leave behind the sludge.

I reuse all my yeast 3x - initial pitch from a starter, and then 2 more pitches onto the yeast cake. No infection issues or anything like that, but I'm really anal about my sanitation regime. The microbreweries I'm familiar with will repitch up to 50-60 generations with yeast washing every 5th repitch or so. They all grow cultures from each batch to see if there are any bacterial colonies - if there are, they don't harvest yeast from that batch.

Looking to drive my valuable "yeast dollar" further, I hear talk of yeast washing.

I often reuse the crap from the bottom of the fermenter for the next brew, but what is this washing all about?

I believe it's using a low pH solution to reduce the levels of contaminating microorganisms in the yeast suspension.

I believe it also helps remove some of the trub/hop residues that become incorporated/attached to the yeast cell wall during fermentation

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...YeastWash.shtml

Edit: newguy beat me to it...some good info on the link though.

Thats exactly what I do as well, chillers method that is, no fluffing about with acid and PH, nice and simple.. Havnt given it the true test of long term storage yet but ive heard many a good thing from heaps of people who have B)

Newguys response is great - acid washing is ideal.

i dont acid wash.

i use this method - Linky

I Acid wash yeast at times, works well, but you need to pitch following washing, it ensures that you are pitching a clean colony of good healthy yeast. Dr's link refers to a procedure for yeast farming or storing yeast away for further downstream propagation. I wash yeast for storage for propagation using cooled boiled water, washed 3 times then stored under saline (cheap from the chemist, used for contact lenses) in a sterile jar in the fridge. There seems to be a bit of a move (from US podcasts st least) away from this procedure recently and a return to just storing under beer in a sterile jar.

Cheers,

Screwy

Cool.. so a ph kit is needed.
Umm.. not the one from the pool shop, I imagine?

Latest posts

Back