Yeast Substitution For An Alt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
What could be used as Yeast Substitution for WLP036 Alt yeast, would San Fran Lager do? WLP810.
No having used either yet I'm not sure

I've used Nottingham in the past which was fine.

Last one i did used K-97 and US-05 mixed 50/50, turned out pretty good, just had to leave it for a week longer than normal to flocc. Not as good as WLP036 though. WLP029/WY1007 would do a good job too, WY1010/WLP320 for something different or there is the seasonal Wyeast 2575PC or whatever it is that seems to be a Weihenstephan strain of some sort.

Got stacks of Nottingham now, feedback on here in Alts has been very good but i haven't got round to using it yet.

I've got some 1007 yeast you could use, mike, which is a great yeast for an alt IMO (I'm doing one next as well). I think the San Fran yeast would work really well though. Might want to mash pretty low as that yeast is not the most attenuative, but it should leave a good amount of maltiness and let the hops come through as well. :icon_drool2:

Wyeast lists 4 different yeasts as suitable for an Alt -

Wyeast Strains:
1010 - American Wheat
1338 - European Ale
2565 - Klsch
1007 - German Ale

Whitelabs List

WLP029 - German Ale/Klsch
WLP036 - Dusseldorf Alt
WLP011 - European Ale

I understand that the dried K97 is actually an Alt yeast even though people talk about it as a wheat yeast, but the fact that Wyeast list their American Wheat as a suitable yeast, gives a little insight into that as well as a clu as to what strains might actually be the "same"

I have only ever used the Wyeast 2565 and that was for a Kolsch. So I'm not able to give you an insight as to which ones you might like the best. Sorry.

Cheers

Thirsty

I've got some 1007 yeast you could use, mike, which is a great yeast for an alt IMO (I'm doing one next as well). I think the San Fran yeast would work really well though. Might want to mash pretty low as that yeast is not the most attenuative, but it should leave a good amount of maltiness and let the hops come through as well. :icon_drool2:

I'm with Stuster here.
Was quite happy with Nottingham until I tried 1007. What a great yeast for an Alt. :super:
I would definitely take up Stuster's offer or if you can't, get hold of some Nottingham.

TP :beer:

Mike,

Kolsch WLP029, big attenuator, great stuff.

Cheers.

Great stuff fellas,
Stu, I'll grab some of that yeast off you soon, when's the next ISB meet?
Got some K97 in the fridge but have been a Liquid Yeast disciple this year

Duff, When did you move to QLD?

Latest posts

Back