Yeast Storage Water Q?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo

Reaction score
Howdy,

A quick question....

I'm racking a beer of some yeast I want to save soon - got sterile containers for this yeast to go into.

Can I just use bottled water to cover the yeast in the containers?

have a young baby and the time to allow boiled water to cool is not likely to be able to happen soon, and can't be arsed waiting.

Anyone see any potential problems?

Cheers

Kev

From a freshly opened bottle, can't really see any problem....whilst it's frowned upon, to be perfectly honest, half the time I can't be arsed with it and just use tap water.......never had a problem, but certainly not advocating that as a process. :lol:

I would boil the water. No point trying to save time by not cooling boiled water is asking for trouble. How much time will you save when a whole brew goes down the drain.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

Does everyone put boiled water in their KnK brew ?

i've always used tap water through the garden hose, no probes here :p

I think if you want to store yeast go and pick up some distilled water from the supermarket and use it. This site http://www.alsand.com/beer/yeast/index_E.html seems to think it's a good idea (click storage up the top). Even if you're not culturing, i doubt it would hurt it.

Tap water would be fine. I used to work at Sydney Water in the micro dept and there is NEVER anything significant in the water. When i was working in the lab i tried an experiment storing yeast under water. I found it to be surprisingly stable and was able to easily recover it even after 6 months at room temperature.

Did you brew with it Piraterum? Recovering it is one thing? Brewing with it without a change in yeast character is another.

Kabooby :icon_cheers:

+2 for tap water in beer.

I would recommend using cooled boiled water with your yeast though.

Don't want to stir the pot but NEVER anything wrong with Sydney water is a little rich, i was living there just after the Guardia scare some years ago....

can yeast get dissentry? That could be messy.

You'd need a blow-off tube. :lol:

Using unsterilised water is asking for an infection.
The simplest way to sterilise water is in the microwave - put the container in with the lid loose then let it boil for a minute or so.
Leave it to cool a little then screw on the lid and put it in the fridge. As soon as it cools to 20 degrees or so it's good to go.

Tap water would be fine. I used to work at Sydney Water in the micro dept and there is NEVER anything significant in the water. When i was working in the lab i tried an experiment storing yeast under water. I found it to be surprisingly stable and was able to easily recover it even after 6 months at room temperature.

Did you brew with it Piraterum? Recovering it is one thing? Brewing with it without a change in yeast character is another

Don't want to stir the pot but NEVER anything wrong with Sydney water is a little rich, i was living there just after the Guardia scare some years ago....

Yeah i brewed with it, no obvious change in character. I worked in an R&D yeast lab and managed the culture collection there. They had a fair bit on info on yeast recovery and changes in character. There needs to be quite a large degree of mutation for significant changes in character. If we could we'd all have a -80 deg freezer!

I didn't mean literally never! lol I meant it is very uncommon to have a significant level of contamination in tap water. You more likely to be hit by a bus. That said it never hurts to give it a bit of a boil to rule contamination out .

Latest posts

Back