Yeast Storage Tubes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like the LCA03 have a round bottom and the LC9025-UU have a V bottom with a rim around it. As a result I would get the LC9025-UU and it can stand on its own which would come in handy from time to time. You still need a stand to keep them neat but being able to stand on their own would be handy when you are using them.

Long live the LC9025-UU.

I'm going to order these: L6250 Sample vials with screw caps, 50mL

at least they're heat resistant and re usable.

It's probably much of a muchness really. Neither of them are that strong when stored at cold temperatures regardless. More important that the surface isnt marred by thermal stress. I've ordered some of the LC ones. Might get some LP at a later point and do a side by side, but meh, the LC ones will do fine for now

if youre going to buy sterile ones, you dont need to autoclave it.

if youre going to buy sterile ones, you dont need to autoclave it.

They're not sterile - Just packaged in a bag with a tie. The lids are in a ziplock bag.

The bulk buy ones I did a few years back were a technoplas polycarbonate tube, I remember choosing PC as it could be autoclaved

They were the 15ml ones here:
http://www.technoplas.com.au/pdfs/technopl...m_screw_cap.pdf

As you probably remember ausdb, I was in that bulk buy & am very, very happy with them although I could do with another 50. :(
If anyone was to start another bulk buy of the same tubes I would be very interested. And no, I am not in the position to organise a bulk buy.

TP :beer:

Hi folks!

I've chosen glass tubes. They are reusable and autoclavable (pressure cooker). I cannot post a direct link, so please go to this page and search for article no. "K252.1".

Because they cannot stand on their own, I helped them with some plywood.

Greetz,

Alex

As you probably remember ausdb, I was in that bulk buy & am very, very happy with them although I could do with another 50. :(
If anyone was to start another bulk buy of the same tubes I would be very interested. And no, I am not in the position to organise a bulk buy.
Yeah I know but I am not in the position either, maybe somebody else could step up to the plate?

I have just ordered 100 Lp 9025 for $35 delivered, is it worth stuffing around with a bulk buy?

EDIT - the tubes were LP 9716 UU

Just a bit small for my liking Vlad. If no bulk buy happens I will probably go for Proscitech LCA03 Centrifuge tubes, 15mL, conical bottom, sterile, PP (WSL) AUD17.00 /rack/50 & get a couple of stir bars at the same time.
I have already made my test tube racks to suit the ausdb bulk buy & the above are almost the same diameter.

TP :beer:

for those who doesnt want to spend money for theire first attempt in yeast farming:

it works fine too, if youre going to use small vials like glasses where baby-food has been in, or some marmalade glasses or any other small glasses where some food has been in (I started with glasses where olives has been in).

Just put them in a pressure cooker to sterilize them and it works fine, it just needs a little bit mor space to store it.

Maybe slightly off topic, but how to people get the yeast in these small vials ? Just decant all the lqiuid from the starter and pour the yeast slurry in ? I'd heard that storing yeast without any sort of medium/nutrient would result in it dying within a couple of months. I think it was on a brewing network podcast that I heard that if you're harvesting yeast from a conical it would only really be viable for a couple of weeks.
I don't brew that much compared to some people, so I'd really like 10months or slightly better out of the yeast before it got to the point where it wouldn't fire a 1L 1030 starer.

Hi Mika
Give Chiller a PM as heys back online.Scored some of those pointy bottomed tubes off Chiller years ago when on an Adelaide visit.Go the Crows.
Anyway to cut a long story short chiller is/was into yeast farming and is a wealth of info.I gave up as i was then in the NT and temp/distance to get liquid yeasts was getting harder.

Cheers
Big D

Latest posts

Back