Yeast...still On The Top

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SerLung

Reaction score
Hi,

Just a kit brewer here > posssibly have an issue.

I've got a brew on - Coopers heritage larger (http://store.coopers.com.au/products/diy-beer/diy-beer-brew-cans/thomas-coopers-heritage-lager-beer-kit-1-7kg-)
with a can of Coopers light malt (http://store.coopers.com.au/products/diy-beer/malt-extract-cans/thomas-coopers-light-malt-extract-1-5kg-)

Fairly standard.

I had an extra packet of yeast from a previous brew - where I had used a premium yeast (from the same can)

Guy at the shop said to chuck both packets of yeast in.. so i did.

Its been in the fermenter for 13 days now > and it looks like there is yeast still sitting on the top.

I've taken my first reading for this brew.

yeast1.jpg

Reading1a.jpg

reading1.jpg

So I am just not sure if this is normal. Take another reading tomorrow?

Do I need to wait for all the yeast to disappear?

any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks experienced brewers!

Matt

1016/1018 seems a bit high for what you have as ingredients.

A bit more info will help:
Temperature it current is at
Temperature it is fermenting at/has been

O and put the lid back on :)

dont worry too much about whats happening on top of the brew, take your hydro readings and go off them.
i would expect your gravity to come down a little more yet....is it possible the yeast, or some/one of the yeasts you pitched were dead/o.o.d and is just floating on top doing nothing. cant say Ive seen this before though, Im sure someone else has.

I have had yeast lumped on the top like that before ... didn't seem to have any effect on the final product ... I wouldn't be concerned with that alone.

See that ring around your fermenter above the liquid? Looks like you had a decent krausen on there which has now fallen back down (normal) ... and your hydro reading ... both these indicate the yeast has been busy fermenting & not sitting idly on the top.

And like keifer23 asked ... what temp is it now & what temp has it been at over the past 13 days?
Also, what level did you fill the fermenter to? 18, 19, 20, 21L, etc ... I found that always had a bearing on my FG.

And now for an interesting bit of info which probbly does not have any bearing on your question - the Coopers Heritage Lager comes with a mixture of ale and lager yeast in the sachet.

Back