Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After having the starter in the fridge do people warm it up first before pitching? If you let it warm up do you tip out the excess wert first or?? In the past i have just tipped the lot in due to using a demijohn that wont fit into fridge, just got a better vessel now i can get into the fridge so am curious.

Yep, let rest at room temp until at pitching temp, then dump the excess wort. Keeping the wort in until just before pitching helps slow down the temp change so the yeast doesn't undergo temperature shock. That's how and why I do it, at least.

Drewski said:
After having the starter in the fridge do people warm it up first before pitching? If you let it warm up do you tip out the excess wert first or?? In the past i have just tipped the lot in due to using a demijohn that wont fit into fridge, just got a better vessel now i can get into the fridge so am curious.
I decant then let warm up. It keeps the yeast cake more solid. I leave just enough beer on top of it to help when swirling it when pitching.

Mardoo said:
There 'ya go. Two different answers and I'm sure we both brew decent beer. Welcome to brewing!
I hadn't actually thought of the temp change that much. You do have a point though. I've actually done it both ways but last time I let it warm up before decanting and the yeast cake seemed to stir up a bit more than usual. Who knows whether the yeast liked the temp change though. Only they will know haha

I warm then decant just before pitch to reduce the chance of infection issues. Probably neither here nor there in that regard though....

I have also started (!) putting it back on the stir plate after decanting for a couple of minutes to break up the cake and resuspend (as they are usually fermented out/chilled). A shake also works.

TheWiggman said:
It's not the time that's important Brewkid, it's the yeast 'condition' for want of a better term. You can either make the starter with the intent to ferment it out or to pitch at high krausen. The speed at which this happens will depend on yeast health (mainly age), temp and wort conditions.
If you have a stir plate and intend to ferment out the beer is being oxidised with the intent of increasing yeast count. This process typically takes 24-48h with fresh yeast at ~25°C. Once fermentation is finished, it should be allowed to settle as described above so you are not tipping out the babies with the bath water.
If you pitch at high krausen, you are in effect getting the yeast up and running and presenting them to fresh wort before they have finished their growth cycle. It's important to consider what your starter is made from in this case as it will be in the final beer. Depending on who you speak to, there are benefits with both approaches.
In your case I would give it 72h. Give it a shake, and if it bubbles and foams it's still finishing. Wait until finished, allow to settle in the fridge, decant and enjoy.
PS: I use a small PVC hose to siphon the spent wort off rather than tip the flask. Sucks up almost every last drop and preserves almost the entire cake.
Awesome info Wiggman, thanks for the detailed response.

Back