Yeast Sitting On Top Of Sample Jar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PryorBrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was rinsing some Whitelabs 001 yeast cake in sample jars with pre- boiled cooled water. Shook up in sealed jars and left for a couple of days in the fridge, awaiting time to put into sample jars.

This is what i found, the solids have fallen out to the bottom, clear water is left in the middle and yeast is on top.

Question is this- should i transfer this yeast into my sample vials and top with pre-boiled cooled water?

Was looking at Wolfies post and he has three layers but in a different order. That being yeast in the middle.

Just a little confused???

I'm confused too, maybe if you posted some pictures?
Once yeast has finished fermenting (even top-cropping yeast) it will (usually always) fall to the bottom and settle out.

It won't left me post pictures from my iphone. I am no computer wizard??!!?? i know iknow.......

When fermenting beers with yeast it stayed on top of my beers till i had to literally shake the fermenter to break it up, before it dropped to the bottom. Even when FG was reached. There is a definate layer on the top of the jar that is yeast. Wondering if it is just a characteristic of this yeast.
Anyone else similar experiences with this yeast ????

When fermenting beers with yeast it stayed on top of my beers till i had to literally shake the fermenter to break it up, before it dropped to the bottom. Even when FG was reached. There is a definate layer on the top of the jar that is yeast. Wondering if it is just a characteristic of this yeast.
Anyone else similar experiences with this yeast ????
WLP001 (California Ale) is the same yeast as Wy1056 and US05 dry yeast, and hence one of the most popular home-brewing yeasts around. :)
If it was a characteristic of the yeast there would be a substantial number of people noting the same thing.
However, sometimes yeast does weird things when fermenting and does not always follow the same characteristics.
If you are sure its yeast floating and not other stuff, it should be fine.

Hey guys,

Was rinsing some Whitelabs 001 yeast cake in sample jars with pre- boiled cooled water. Shook up in sealed jars and left for a couple of days in the fridge, awaiting time to put into sample jars.

This is what i found, the solids have fallen out to the bottom, clear water is left in the middle and yeast is on top.

Question is this- should i transfer this yeast into my sample vials and top with pre-boiled cooled water?

Was looking at Wolfies post and he has three layers but in a different order. That being yeast in the middle.

I'm watching this thread with interest because I've had the same thing from top-cropped 1469.

Now to just get it into my sample vials, as cleanly as possible. hmmmmm......

I'm watching this thread with interest because I've had the same thing from top-cropped 1469.

What was your outcome, were you able to store any in vials. Or did you just you just have the yeast still sitting on top when FG had been reached???

Poured off my layer of yeast sitting on the top of my sample jars and diluted with some more boiled cooled water. Yeast sank of perfectly when diluted.

Yeast is now in vials ready for my next brew thanks for the help and responses.

Still don't really understand how it managed to sit on top of the water and trub....... quite strange.

Back