Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating using the link above.

Recycling Yeast Cake

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by Budgie_Smuggling, 2/8/18.

1. Budgie_Smuggling

Posted 2/8/18
    Hi All,

I've been having a read and a search but can't find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I've made the most of my days off brewing an AG IPA (1.060 OG) pitched with 2 x San Diego Super Yeast. I also brewed a similar IPA (similar recipe, hops, and OG) and no chilled it with a view to fermenting as soon as I get the first IPA out of the fermenter.

My plan is to bottle brew 1, clear half of the slurry out and pitch the cube (brew 2) straight on top of the remaining yeast cake, give it a good shake for aeration, and airlock it.

The other plan would be to sanitise a jar in boiling water and starsan, scoop half the cake into that, seal, clean and sanitise the fermenter and pitch as usual.

Any suggestions as to which would be the best/safest plan?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

2. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 2/8/18
    Best practice is to take some yeast from the bottom of the fermenter and wash it, or so I'm led to believe. That should prevent any off flavours from carrying over.

I even go to the trouble of washing starters sometime. I like to do it for starters made from smack packs.

3. shacked

I like beer

Posted 3/8/18
    I'd go with option 2 mate. A cup or 2 of slurry and you'll be sweet; or you can use this calculator: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Washing is good but also exposes you to more opportunities to introduce unwanted nasties.

4. EalingDrop

Posted 3/8/18
    Is there anyway of knowing if its absolutely pure? One assumes going through the various stages of Pitch, Ferment to packaging, that its free of contaminates.

I've harvested yeast and repitched for a while, but I still think about the purity of the yeast slurry every time prior to pitch.

Does anyone have any other ways of testing for purity apart from the old smell and taste the yeast starter?

5. hoppy2B

Home Page:
    Posted 3/8/18

You could put it under a microscope. But then how much of the yeast slurry do you need to look at to know if it is pure? So it really comes down to your definition of "purity". It's probably not a good idea to pitch the slurry from something that has been dry hopped, especially if the dry hop was done with whole cones.

I don't use the yeast cake from a brew because there are so many different yeast strains out there to try, and so many different styles of beer to make. If I do reuse yeast it is usually from a bottle that I made a year or two ago. If it hasn't gone flat, become a gusher, or developed an off flavour, then I figure it is good to go.

If you do want to dry hop and reuse yeast, transfer and dry hop in secondary and save some yeast from primary. As long as you know what you are doing, and you have a good process, you shouldn't have a problem.