Yeast Recycling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pored that yeast down the drain btw, after an attempt of proofing it seemed to be hopeless. Will get some fresh lager yeast and start from there, its 7 bucks for a sachet so I will keep it cycling.

Good move in my opinion. For $7 I just dont think it is worth the risk of ruining a good batch of beer and wasting the cash that you spent on the ingrediants and the time you put into it just to save $7.... Best bet is to buy the new yeast and save the cash on your next batch by recycling this yeast correctly.

Okay right now I'm harvesting some yeast from the bottom of the bucket. I have read some stuff about yeast washing and they tell you everything to keep only the living colonies. They tell you as well that the dead ones has to be chucked out. My question is: Why? Isn't Vegemite made of dead yeast, its rich in vitamin B and good for you. So any good reason to loose the dead troops away? Otherwise I ain't be bothering to wash it...

for reusing the yeast you want as many healthy cells as you can get if you have 50% dead and 50% healthy then viability will be shot and you will under pitch. I have never reused yeast at a few $ a brew not worth the risk and when I decide to it will be liquid yeast and it will be split out of the pack not reused yeast as to only use the first generation.

Good for you mate.. my choice is to reuse, i have my reasons.

1- I live in a small country town and there are no shops here.

2- I'm not into buying new shit all the time and keep polluting with use plastic packagings, you should maybe look into that if you love your country, and your land.

I invite you to read my question again, you are a bit off topic here mate, my question is why don't we want the dead yeast cells, as they are perfectly ok to ingest.

well as I said you are not sure how many there are so there could be 10% dead or 50% dead if you are not sure then its best to get rid of them plus I think (not 100% sure) that healthy yeast feed off the dead yeast and it is not really recomended but again it all depends on the % of dead yeast. If you can some how tell how much % dead yeast you have then you should be right as to calculate the pitching rates to what you need.

Oh look a tony's guide to reculture yeast from smack packs I think he gets about 6+ brews out of virgin yeast so what $10 for a liquid yeast its like $1.60 a brew and you have first gen good yeast all the way no hops or other crap to stuff around with getting out. I just said the way I would go if its dry then no point but if its hard for you to get hold of then go ahead. Id prob just use hop socks and brew a bigger beer maybe extract half the yeast and then dump a brew straight on the yeast cake then use the other half in another

Why? Isn't Vegemite made of dead yeast, its rich in vitamin B and good for you. So any good reason to loose the dead troops away? Otherwise I ain't be bothering to wash it...
right.... but if dead yeast taste like vegemite, why would you want that taste in your beer?

Autolysis flavours are bad.

Here's a link I just googled with more better descriptions, "Yeast autolysis or self-lysis is the breaking open or rupturing of the yeast cell and the transfer (leaking out) of undesirable substances and off-flavours to the beer. The flavour is described as yeast-bite, broth-like, meaty, sulphury and dirty diaper." yum

right.... but if dead yeast taste like vegemite, why would you want that taste in your beer?

Autolysis flavours are bad.

Here's a link I just googled with more better descriptions, "Yeast autolysis or self-lysis is the breaking open or rupturing of the yeast cell and the transfer (leaking out) of undesirable substances and off-flavours to the beer. The flavour is described as yeast-bite, broth-like, meaty, sulphury and dirty diaper." yum

That's the answer I was after. Thanks mate, it makes sense.

Kelbygreen: Not sure of the % yet i have to let ti settle in a clear jar.

Can I use water and sugar to make them breed? If so how much.

yeah sorry zipster but I knew there was a reason for removing dead yeast : P now felton said it is obvious dunno how I forgot that :D I never stepped yeast but you would use ldme or some use the runoff or strained trub from a AG batch. So you want to use malt not sugar. Not sure the reason but if you have heaps of sugar the malt will yeast it first as its the easiest food source then it may be over and done with before it attacks the malt so maybe the malt is less stress on the yeast to produce plus you are pitching it into malt so might prepare it better. Thats just a thought no science or reading behind it :p

Can I use water and sugar to make them breed? If so how much.

If you want the yeast you breed to be able to ferment your MALT based wort, you dont want them
eating more simple sugars, like cane or corn sugar.

There are that many videos and articles around on how to prepare yeast starters its not funny.

EDIT = too slow

correct but the ones i found they are using dried yeast, so its a different approach

if you got links for me i'll take em

correct but the ones i found they are using dried yeast, so its a different approach

if you got links for me i'll take em
Type 'Yeast Starter' into the search function on every page of this forum, you'll get a number of very useful results.
And/or here is a thread I posted about a week ago ... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54900
(that should answer all your questions)

Usually when working with dry yeast its called "rehydrating" not "starter".

Okay right now I'm harvesting some yeast from the bottom of the bucket. I have read some stuff about yeast washing and they tell you everything to keep only the living colonies. They tell you as well that the dead ones has to be chucked out. My question is: Why? Isn't Vegemite made of dead yeast, its rich in vitamin B and good for you. So any good reason to loose the dead troops away? Otherwise I ain't be bothering to wash it...

The reason you wash the yeast is not just to get rid of the dead yeast cells. It's to separate other material such as proteins and hop debris from healthy yeast.

However, dead yeast cells, while they may be healthy food for you in vegemite, how much vegemite do you want in your beer? A certain amount of yeast cells will be consumed as a nutrient by living yeast, but excess cells may result in bad flavours.

Your beer, you treat it how you like but there are reasons to wash.

Back