Yeast Recommendations

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the 1272. Have made 3 or 4 brews with it now and had nothing but compliments.

I did the side by side with 1272 & US05 on the first batch and the 1272 hands down was soo much nicer. Initially you could really smell the passionfruit, but then it settled down and blended. The US05 keg was the poor second cousin and only just got finished last weekend, the 1272 keg lasted about a week

Anybody know where I can order som s189 Swiss fermentis dry yeast ?

dont see it on Ross's site .....

Thanks in advance

I've given up on us-05 due to it being crappy at floc'ing, and I don't want to filter. I tried the 1272 which floc's great, but I find the finish a little bit tart. Lately I've been using wlp090, I'm not worried about the super fast ferment, it floc's great and is a nice clean and neutral yeast.

QldKev

I've given up on us-05 due to it being crappy at floc'ing, and I don't want to filter. I tried the 1272 which floc's great, but I find the finish a little bit tart. Lately I've been using wlp090, I'm not worried about the super fast ferment, it floc's great and is a nice clean and neutral yeast.

QldKev

Hey Kev,
I recently went to get my standard ale 1272 and they were out.
Instead I bought the norwest 1332. Loving it. Worth a try. No tartness at all.

Hey Kev,
I recently went to get my standard ale 1272 and they were out.
Instead I bought the norwest 1332. Loving it. Worth a try. No tartness at all.

Just had a read of it, sounds promising. I'll put it on the list for next time I'm putting an order in.

QldKev

aaarrrghhh thanks. i searched on "fermentis" and it didn't show. so it doesnt come in 12g fermentis original packs like the s23 and s34 .... its obviously only sold in bulk and split by craftbrewer as such...

There is this stuff as well - Fermentis - Saflager W-34/70, but I'd go with S-189 for a dry lager yeast.

(I'm putting it in a BdD Daz, don't get worried :icon_cheers: )

Can recommend this one as a must have and back up go to yeast. A dry yeast so you can easily store it in the fridge for whenever. Having some success with this one after sorting Diacytle probs of late.
I too have switched to the 1272 over the 1056 in the last 6 months with good results.
Both in my top 5.
Daz

Think I will explore the cost of 500g brick of S189... figure I need around 50g per 12 gallon batch. 10 brews stock for a dry yeast should be fine.

Now, where to get it...

Think I will explore the cost of 500g brick of S189... figure I need around 50g per 12 gallon batch. 10 brews stock for a dry yeast should be fine.

Now, where to get it...

From the craftbrewer site http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=9

"500gm packs for $190.00. Just select 20 items. Pricing will update automatically"

Read this Ross, I think I need some sort of discount for promotional services...

QldKev

1272 is a great yeast, nice and smooth ale yeast.

Another great yeast that is versatile is Whitelabs WLP029 German Ale/ Klsch Yeast, I made a kolsch and used it in a LCPA because they said on the website (audio link) that you can use it on anything where you want the yeast to be in the background, it turned out a cracker. I'm going to use it on my Irish red next.

Back