Yeast Nutrient Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leopants

Reaction score
hey folks...

i put by standard brew down a couple of days ago:

1 x tin coopers pale ale
750gms DLME
250gms dextrose
approx. 40gms hop pellets, rolling boil 3mins, strained
sachet of standard coopers yeast

I also added I couple of grams of YEAST NUTRIENT which I bought to make cider but never used.

what effect will this have on my brew do you reckon?

cheers for you input.

Leo

what effect will this have on my brew do you reckon?

I would not have thought there would be any noticeable effect. Did the fermentation get off to a good Start?

I would not have thought there would be any noticeable effect. Did the fermentation get off to a good Start?

yeah she bubbled away nicely for about 3 days... now just a blip every hour or so.

is yeast nutrient 'food' for the yeast ? is there a risk that it we eat that instead of fementing the sugars or something?

If any yeast comes into contact with boiling wort it will kill it on impact, (at least thats what i always figured)
I kept all my old kit yeasts and use them for nutrients with my AG brews.

My understanding is that the yeast nutrients contains stuff the yeast uses to grow and prosper "faster and better", like zink and what-not.

I believe using yeast nutrients can make the fermentation take off sooner (reduced lag time) and ferment faster but I don't know if it will go any lower in FG.
Read about someone saying that with lots of yeast nutrients they could fully ferment out mead in a week, something that would normally take months.

Palmer on nutrients: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-1.html

thanks
Bjorn

Nutrients are a factor to consider. Yeast health is another one and well oxygenated wort before fermentation plays a role because the yeasties need oxygen to power through the sugars.

thanks guys , yes this brew certainly got off to a quick start.
I added the yeast and nutrients at about 10pm and by 6:30am when I got up she bubbling pretty furiously . also the whole ferment seem to be over quicker than usual, although in part at least I'm putting that down to the warm conditions .

cheers for your input\

leo

Back