Yeast Help For Cap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillscottish

Uh, Detective Parson, madam.
Reaction score
I'm brewing (boiling as we speak) a CAP and when I went to the fridge, the saflager yeast I thought I had there, wasn't. Getting one from the HBS tomorrow morning is not an option due to work. I need to get a yeast into this baby tonight.

What I do have is SO4, nottingham, wheat (k97), and american ale(us56).

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is the best one to use to salvage this brew?

I'm thinking maybe wheat but I'm really not sure.

Campbell

only one is nottigham but it realyy would be my firtst yeast to try on this on the san fran lager from white labs or wyeast 2112 be good for this beer

I've heard that Nottingham makes a decent pseudo-lager when fermented at low temps. Not sure how low, but a search of the forum should help.

K97 is pretty neutral, so it could work OK too. Only drawback -- very poor flocker.

S04 is too "alish".

So maybe Notts by a whisker, followed by K97, then US56, with S04 a very distant fourth.

BTW, if you have a cube or two handy you could just fill 'em up and pitch yeast at your liesure.

US-5...doh, too late

us-56 would have been my first choice as well.

ferment it low (16C) and its very neutral and lagerish

Bugger too late...

I'd never use Nottingham in a lager & definately not a CAP - From my experience, the dusty taste will domninate until the end of the keg :( . US-56 would have been the best choice by far IMO from your current stock - But i would have waited an extra 24 hours & ordered/pitched S-189 - this is a fantastic yeast for a CAP.

cheers Ross

Bugger too late...

I'd never use Nottingham in a lager & definately not a CAP - From my experience, the dusty taste will domninate until the end of the keg :( . US-56 would have been the best choice by far IMO from your current stock - But i would have waited an extra 24 hours & ordered/pitched S-189 - this is a fantastic yeast for a CAP.

cheers Ross

Agree with you Ross, CAP stands for 'Classic American Pilsner' - a bohemian style lager yeast is required...

Scotty

Back