Yeast For Mexican Cervea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxy007

Reaction score
Hi There,
I've just bottled my first brew :D and will start on my next one on Saturday. It will be another Mexican Cerveva with
1 x 1.7kg can Mexican Cerveva
1kg Dextrose and;
Coopers BE #2

Should I use the kit yeast and another yeast such as Safale 04? If not Safale 04 what yeast do you recommend that will give me a low FG?
I have been able to keep my temps at around 18-22 so far and have just bought a 100 can cooler.

Cheers,

Maxy

I used Saflager W34/70, and kept temps @ 12 deg in the fridge with a temp controller.

I kept the can yeast as a backup, but id suggest using something better to suit the temps you can ferment @.

Mine is almost finished fermenting and tastes great :D Cant wait to throw a lime into it and enjoy...

The local shop i bought my BE2 from had -

500g Dex
500g LDM
250g Maltodex.

thats all i used.

I'm brewing one up at the moment using SafLgaer S-23. Its looking pretty good right now, but you will really need to get it down to ~12 degrees for that yeast to be any good.

If you can keep it at 18 degrees or less, many people have said that SafAle US-56 (i think its name has been changed to US-05 now though) is very neutral (good for your Cervesa) and its a very strong yeast too. Perhaps you would be better off using that instead of S-04 which is supposed to give off more esters.

so can you brew anything in the fridge with this temp controller? curently have a tooheys lager at 22* brewing

anything that needs the lower temps like lagers.

Ive got a temp controller now and love it. Seriously the best thing ive bought, and my first batch tastes that much better im never going back :)

Back