Yeast Culturing Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Have just ordered a plate stirrer from Digital Brewing and am thinking what size flasks do i need to buy other than a 1L ?

Good place to buy screw lid test tubes(i know i should have kept all those white labs ones)Glass or plastic not to fussed to start with-cheap is good?

How many petri dishes to do slant production?

What size pressure cooker would i need to fit a 1L flask in?

Thanks for any input,i have read a little and am about to order the new Chris White book from Amazon that came out 2 weeks ago on this subject for $14 plus postage.

Autoclaving isn't as necessary for making starters IMO.

you can happily do everything without needing petri dishes, slants are made with tubes. the tubes, get polypropylene (PP) or polycarbonate (PC) - polystyrene (PS) will melt in the pressure cooker.

ive still got some extra tubes left over from a bulk buy that i organised a while ago after some peoples pulled out. pm me if interested

Adding to Barls' offer, I have about 10 glass petri's with lids that I bought for another project but never got around to using, they were pretty cheap for me to buy, so if you want to discuss buying them off me, Im sure we can sort something out for a cheap price. I am in Sydney though, so shipping is a factor - but a mate of mine knows Barls and I think we live close, so possibly a combined shipping if youre interested?

Social networking at its best. Who needs facebook when we have AHB ? :)

i know i should have kept all those white labs ones

The White labs vials are apparantly soft-drink bottle blanks before they are heat blown into a mould - that's why you notice that PET screwcaps fit them perfectly. If you find out where to source them new, please let me know, because the label gum is impossible to get off the WL empties :)

proscitech.com.au do all sorts of test tubes and vials, unfortunately mostly in bulk though.

Most basic is a vessel, some sanitiser, some boiled cooled water and a funnel.

You can do it in stubbies or longnecks (both storage and starters). Stirplate makes things quicker but isn't necessary. A fridge is helpful for storage but i'm assuming you already have one.

For test tubes try username: sera and look in the retail thread. Otherwise I'm sure barls will sort you out.

Have just ordered a plate stirrer from Digital Brewing and am thinking what size flasks do i need to buy other than a 1L ?
I lucked into finding a 3 liter flask at Goodwill years ago -- it's nice because there is room for the yeast to bubble up on the stir plate without overflowing. I would not worry about autoclaving/pressure cooking. Just dump in half a liter of water and boil for 20 minutes with foil covering the opening. I'm sure a lot of people just sanitize it.

How many petri dishes to do slant production?
I don't think you 'need' any petri dishes to do slants. I make up slants and then after emptying my wyeast pack into the fermenter, I take a sterilized metal pick and wipe it in the pouch and then streak the slant. If you want to grow colonies on a petri dish to make sure you get a single strain, it doesn't seem like you would need more than one or two. You could also just get some little canning jars meant for jelly, as they can stand the heat of pressure cooking.

In lieu of an autoclave or stove top boiling, a baby bottle sterilizer is good for sanitizing most little microwave safe objects. Not as good as an autoclave, but works never the less.

I have one that i use for my yeast sample jars and plastic bits and pieces. i just run it through 2 cycles of 4 minutes... nukes the crap out of anything that would happen to be in there.

You will need some kind of wire loop or needle to inoculate your slants
- I've ended up using one of THESE - that's right, a lobster fork :D It works
well for me because I bought small diameter screw top tubes (~1cm wide)
before and using a single needle (paperclip actually) to try and poke yeast
into the agar in the tube will cause the agar to rotate annoyingly with
anything off-centre.

With a stainless steel lobster fork, you can flame the hell out of it and its
double prong tip is good for digging into the agar.

T.

I would not worry about autoclaving/pressure cooking. Just dump in half a liter of water and boil for 20 minutes with foil covering the opening.

this confuses me a little!Boil flask in a pot of water?
With malt or are we just talking about sterilizing the flask and then adding DME?

Pressure cooker will be for small objects petri / tubes making up the slants.

Saw a interesting one by tefal today that was like a rice cooker plug in to the wall instead of a stove top.the only thing i was not to keen on was that it was teflon inside.Plus tho is that i wouldnt have to move it from the kitchen to the lab area.

they can go on the stove themselves

Does anyone use vocola jars to make their sterile wort in?

Does anyone use vocola jars to make their sterile wort in?

Do a search for wolfy's two excellent threads ( with pics) ...making slants and from slants to starters....
I got the Chris White book at ANHC...
It's heavy going lol
Proudscum....come along to westgate , where you can have alot of your questions answered , over a beer....hehe :icon_cheers:
Cheers
Ferg

OK, I'll try without any of the "you don't need a .... to do yeast" adnd give you the stuff I think you should have to do it fairly properly.

I do skip the step of plating to get a pure culture and just go straight from source yeast to slant though. I can cover plating if you really want, but someone else will be able to do it better I'm sure.

Here's what I think you "shold" have. This isn't meant to be a how to thread, I'm just putting in some of the techniques to illustrate why you need the equipment I reckon you do.

Growing your yeast:

To go from a slant to a pitch you need your stirplate and a few flasks/tubes. Your cultures should rise in 10 fold steps for ales and 5 fold steps for lagers so...

For an Ale you go. Loop of yeast -> 10-15ml wort in a little tube -> 100ml wort in a conical flask -> 1L of wort in a conical flask and that will give you about 100 billion cells, or the same as a very fresh Wyeast Pack or Whitelabs tube. From there, you want flasks big enough to go to whatever starter size you want to make. Probably 2L is enough for most reasonable-fairly strong ales.

For a Lager you go. Loop of yeast -> 10-15ml of wort -> 50ml of wort -> 250ml of wort -> 1-1.25L of wort and that gives you about 100billion cells again. And to do lager starters I think you need a 4-5L flask. You can get away with a demijohn, but best for purpose would be a 5L Erlenmeyer. They are poisonously expensive though (up to $100+)

So covering all bases .. you want as an optimum - a small tube at say 80-100ml, a 250ml Erlenmeyer, a 500ml Erlenmeyer, a 1L Erlenmeyer - and then for your "starters" a 2L & 5L Erlenmeyer.

I manage to make do with 1 x 500ml, 1 x 2L and 1 x 5L plus a couple of tubes. But life would be easier and things a touch more sterile with the extras.

To make slants and inoculate your yeast into starters:

A pressure cooker. A small one will do. I think its important to autoclave/pressure cook your slants and direct culturing equipment, simply boiling will do for flasks. If you are willing to pay the shekels for a big arsed pressure cooker that would be better - but even though I said I wasn't going to do the "you can get away with" thing, you can get away with just boiling your flasks.

Small tubes that are autoclavable. I use 15ml screw cap tubes from the bulk buy mentioned earlier in this thread. They are perfect.

Some agar agar from the asian supermarket. Gelatin is to hard to use and melts, you can use it, but agar is better.

An inoculation loop. I use a bit of stainless welding wire bent into a little loop at one end and a handle at the other with some gaffa tape for grip.

A little alcohol burning stove or a bunsen burner .. some sort of flame to make an updraft and to heat the loop

Alcohol to burn in the stove and to make things sterile

some dme.

Making The Slants

Divide your tubes in half - into one half, fill to a little less than the halfway point with wort at 1.030 mixed with agar agar. The other half of your tubes fill to a say 3/4 full with just the wort. Screw the lids on and then back them off so that they would pull off if you tried to lift them. Upright into the pressure cooker inside a coffee cup or something so they dont fall over. Pressure cook them for a while.. to long is no harm, so I just cook the shit out of them.

After the cooker cools enough for you to touch, open the lid and as you take each tube out, tighten the lid. Wear gloves and try to get it done while things are still really hot. The agar ones get laid on their sides to give an angles surface, try to get the maximum surface area you can. These are your slants. The wort ones are just a source for pre-sterilised wort for your initial 10-15mls - its a PITA to try and cook that small an amount up on spec.

For both tubes and slants - keep them at warm room temp for a week before use, so that if anything is going to grow, you will see it and can toss that one away.

All that gets done in advance - tubes and slant will last indefinitely, or at last for a very long time.

Innoculating from a yeast pack onto a slant.

Wear a facemask - I tie a bandana over my face. Light the little alcohol stove and when you work, try to work close to and sort of over the flame so you are in the updraft it creates.

Use alcohol to wipe down the outside of your yeast pack, dip into the alcohol and set on fire the blades a pair of scissors. Cut open your yeast pack. Heat up your inoculation loop in the flame till its red hot, dip it into the yeast pack, wipe the loop on the surface of the agar in a slant. Tighten the lid onto the slant. Repeat for all the yeast packs or slants you want to make.

You should use sterile techniques as best you are able, I wont detail them here as you can google them.

Slants at room temp for a few days, to make sure the yeast starts to grow and nothing else does... then into the fridge at 4C. Re-culture every 4-6 months for best performance.

To use a slant

Flame on, mask on, lid of slant dipped in alcohol, lid of tube of wort dipped in alcohol. Flame loop and cool by dipping into alcohol - drag loop across surface of inoculated slant to pick up some cells, then stir it into the tube of wort. let it grow.

If your sterile technique is good, you can use the same slant again and again. I tend to discard it after one use so I make several slants of the same yeast when I am culturing. If you intend to do likewise, then you can do what I mainly do, which is ditch the loop for getting yeast into wort, and just pour some wort directly into the slant itself.

I think thats it - less than a perfect sterile technique and proper micro people out there are probably flinching/laughing - but its served me pretty well, isn't as much trouble as it sounds and on the scale of "too slack -- proper" I think its on the "proper" side of the balance point.

Warning - you have both highly flammable alcohol and an open flame... do not set yourself on fire. That would be bad.

TB

I just wanted to add that the Chris White book has more information about yeast than a homebrewer probably needs to know :lol:

Great guy & it was awesome to talk to him one on one for a fair bit during ANHC :)

I just wanted to add that the Chris White book has more information about yeast than a homebrewer probably needs to know :lol:

Great guy & it was awesome to talk to him one on one for a fair bit during ANHC :)

Thanks heaps for that its great.Hopefully by the end of the week i will have all my glassware and tubes.Was given a lge Meyer gift voucher sometime ago so will see what pressure cookers they have.That leaves some agar agar to get plus a top up can of gas for by small chefs blow touch and a spray bottle for sanitizer.Am keen to get some vacola jars to make sterile wort to have on hand.

When i find a new toy to play with i go nuts and all.
If the short course that i may be teaching on brewing kicks off then the ATO will get my receipts as they will all be tools of my teaching trade.

... Heat up your inoculation loop in the flame till its red hot, dip it into the yeast pack, wipe the loop on the surface of the agar in a slant. ...

to ask a couple of stupid questions..

you dip the loop into the yeast pack while it is still red hot? I assume it's a liquid yeast pack?

Latest posts

Back