Yeast cake and using the next or same day - Rinse?Starter?Chuck it in?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher

Reaction score
Hi knowledgable beer folk. Brewing our second AG tomorrow, and bottling the first one too! I want to try using some of the yeast cake for the next ferment. But am not sure about exactly what I should do.

Both brews are almost the same, and it's a smack pack of 1056 in the fermenter.
I've been reading the threads about yeast farming and rinsing, but is this necessary for reusing straight away. We are probably going to No Chill it and pitch the next day.... Although i do have an immersion chiller, but haven't used or thought about the logistics of using it yet.

Can I just use the mr malty yeast calculator, grab a (properly sterilised) jar and scoop the right kind of quantity in, then chuck the little yeasty beasts in the fermenter at pitching temp? If I do this, do I keep it in the fridge or just leave it out? Currently the fermenter is in cc at almost zero degrees, so I guess the yeast will need some time to warm up again.

I thank anyone in advance for any advice. This place is an amazing resource for newish brewers like me.

what your suggesting is alost exactly what I do...but I dont use Mr malty. Prior to bottling/kegging I have a properly sanitised jar (an old jam jar usually, boiled, and cooled) at the ready and when Ive finished transferring beer off the yeast cake, I give the fermentor a good swirl to mix up the remaining beer/yeast slurry and then somply fill my jar and seal....if using this within a week or so I usually store it in the fridge and then let it come to pitching temp just prior to pitching...often I just tip in half the jar and keep the rest for future brews/ starters.

Sounds like you do know what to do...
Keeping it in the fridge is a safer option for there can be some activity once it starts to warm. Even in the fridge I prefer to cap it with glad wrap. I once kept a jar with a loosely fitted lid out overnight for pitching the next day and the yeast had climbed out of the jar and all ovre the bench

Topher said:
so I guess the yeast will need some time to warm up again.
Yep, when you Keg or bottle, leave a litre or so and swirl the crap out of the FV and the run off to your jar about a cup, without rinsing, you will be pitching some dead cells and trub etc, but many people report no issues with this.

Nicks old rule of thumb was 1 cup for Ales and 2 Cups for Lagers, which if it's fresh slurry does sound about right... Im anal about it and have always rinsed but it does add extra time and I guess isnt really required given the anecdotal evidince often quoted about pitching onto cake.

My Malty wont be a great deal of use I dont think, I seem to remember its numbers are based on rinsed yeast not FV slurry but dont quote me on that..

:icon_cheers:

Great. I feel a bit better now. Was worried putting it in a jar and chucking it in the next batch was a bit 'ghetto'.

I do almost the same as above but I use a sanitised spoon to collect the top layer of yeast in to a sanitised jar. I don’t swirl the fermenter as I try to leave any cold break or crap on the bottom layer behind.

Latest posts

Back