Yeast bought in snaplock bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So after all of this I have decided to wait. I have stored hops in zip lock bag and it has lost its aroma quick. I think the yeast may go alright but I don't want to spoil this beer over a chance for yeast. I'm still going to rehydrate for shits and giggles though.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422160369.357712.jpg

brewermp said:
So after all of this I have decided to wait. I have stored hops in zip lock bag and it has lost its aroma quick. I think the yeast may go alright but I don't want to spoil this beer over a chance for yeast. I'm still going to rehydrate for shits and giggles though.
Storing Hops is a lot different to yeast.

The reason they dry yeast is to make it more robust and easier for storage and transportation and to extend its shelf life.. You can store Hops in ziplock bags, but agreed they dont last as long, but will do OK if placed in the freezer straight after re-packaging them

Ducatiboy stu said:
Topp cropping is always has more chances of infection than a dried yeast....I am supprised you dont already know this
You missed my point stu.

I wouldn't use that brew shop again as it's a sign of their lack of knowledge and general slackness.

Roosterboy said:
I wouldn't use that brew shop again as it's a sign of their lack of knowledge and general slackness.
I haven't since.

This is a little OT but.. On the odd occasions I use a dry yeast these days, I put a stir bar in the pyrex jug with them and after the 15 minutes rehydration, they go onto the stirplate very gently for half hour... Probably just me but the instructions do say to stir gently for half hour..

Sorry for the off topic, your picture reminded me.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Help, help...the sky is falling.....
Far be it for me to agree with AHB's trolliest troll, but he does have a point.

My LHBS has for many years bought bulk yeast and repackaged into ziplock. I've never really liked it, but it was what I had access to and I used it plenty with great success in my early days. I am pretty sure the repackaging was a factor when I tried to stretch US05 on a DIPA and it failed. The yeast did it's job, but it wasn't as ready to go 'over and above' it's attenuation viability. Lesson learnt. Still, tomorrow I am brewing a SIPA with some ziplocked US05 from a mate who bought 500g. I will pitch more than I would normally do, but I will still use it.

Would I use it for a comp? Hell no, but would I trust that the yeast is all good? Yes.

Would I be worried there was enough of a wild yeast in the zip back to cause problems? No. Maybe slightly in the back of my head, but only in the same way as I worry that some wild yeast might drop in the crack of the fermenter as I fill, or that I didn't clean the tap well enough, or some other super unlikely scenario.

The dried yeast will be fine.

Store dry yeast in the freezer. It's the go.
Works for bread yeast.

I don't know the answer and won't pretend to because yeast is not one of my strong points. My thought process would be "if I think there is a problem with the way this yeast is handled, what is it about the handling that will affect yeast health?"

Temp is one of them. Oxygen? Moisture?

If anyone knows I think this would give a more straightforward answer. elcarter covered Saccharomyces cerevisiae well but surely there's other stuff out there. Otherwise maybe it's not all bad. Maybe.

Maybe brewers need to think about why and the reasons behind it for producing dried yeast.

Yeast is a lot more robust than brewers give it credit for.

Back