Yeast bought in snaplock bags

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yob said:
so are contaminants.. the yeast's survival is not the issue for me, the handling and exposure is.
This is true.

The way you handle dry yeast v wet yeast are very different.

Very different products

Ducatiboy stu said:
This is true.

The way you handle dry yeast v wet yeast are very different.

Very different products
the practices I employed when I was using/use dry yeast hold me in good stead for doing the same with dry.

I'll be in a position to have my beers tested for bacterial counts and other stuff, so I'm keen to know if what I consider good practice and a "clean" environment is all I think it is :lol: and to be honest, the RIS Im trying to get finished has both, started on Dry Yeast will has had at least one addition of a 'liquid'.. one of my frozen yeasts stepped up... as well. Thats the one I really want tested.. of course, in that I dont have one that came from a zip lock bag yeast to compare.. just sayin..

brewermp said:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422174448.811443.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1422174473.812089.jpg
mate, Im spewing this didnt come up earlier, I could have got it tested and either confirmed or put to bed, Ive got a friend spending a few weeks in the a well known.. very well known.. Breweries Lab and let me know to have some samples for her. Im seeing her Tuesday.

Yob said:
mate, Im spewing this didnt come up earlier, I could have got it tested and either confirmed or put to bed, Ive got a friend spending a few weeks in the a well known.. very well known.. Breweries Lab and let me know to have some samples for her. Im seeing her Tuesday.
I can always buy some and mail it too you ;)

I'll happily open a packet of us-05 and s-04 and zip lock bag it up for testing. :D

brewermp said:
I can always buy some and mail it too you ;)
by Tuesday?

elcarter said:
I'll happily open a packet of us-05 and s-04 and zip lock bag it up for testing. :D
Not exactly what Im saying, I could "open a pack" but aint the same thing as a pack in a zip lock for "x" time.. Im in the "**** that" camp but I also have a lot of interest in data currently.. having that (as discussed) sample to test would be astonishingly interesting to me... to get lab results would surprise quite a lot of people I suspect.. either in the "she'll be right mate" crowd (a decent part of me lives there) and the hermetically sealed holding their breath brigade (also a member)

one way or the other, this practice should have data behind it. I have a one off opportunity to get stuff tested, I wish this was part of it.. Im just as interested in a lab tested result as the rest..

The fact that this was obviously a bulk bag of yeast split down into small unsterilised zip lock bags in who knows what kind of premises with the possibility of grain dust from the grain mill next to the packing bench drifting around in the air and possibly using the spoon they used for lunch a little earlier is enough to put me off buying their yeast.
And yes, it could also have been packed in a super sterile room using the latest extraction fan air filtering system, but somehow I don't think so given they are using unsanitised zippy bags

Can't get it there by Tuesday nor has it been in zip lock bags for x time to make it worth your while.

I don't do the zip lock bag yeast thing.

One thing you could do is a liquid yeast past it's use by date. I brew with all the out of date yeast I don't sell. Well past the date when the calculators say 0 viability and it still comes good.

We all know from the activity and the ferment it works but how many cells really are left. It would be a small test and far to many variables eg storage temp, time, and strain but actual data may shed light into if were bringing it back from the edge of colony death or was there always a large cell count just waiting?

Back