Yeast and plastic fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loechels450

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has experienced the same issues. I am an all grain brewery with 5 years under my belt and generally use us05 with no problems but every time I use a different yeast it never works out
. My question is can a plastics fermenter become susceptible to a certain stain ??
Any help would be great

What other types of yeast have you used? Liquid, dry? And what do you mean by didn't work out?

Lots of things can affect yeast, but plastic fermenters aren't something that immediately spring to my mind.

JD

US05 is a very good yeast, its probably my favourite especially if you like US style Pale/IPA, could it not just be you prefer the beer it generates? Ive currently got a brew going with BRY97 just as I wanted to try something else, I'm just hoping it turns out as good as the US05.

May I suggest Mangrove Jack's M42 New World Strong Ale.

It's replaced both US05 and BRY97 - the former for its poor floccing and the latter for its lag time. It deals with both brilliantly.

One was a saflager and the other a French saison both dry
I guess what I'm trying to find out is wether it was a coincidence since Iv never had a problem using us05 and have made close to 50 brews.

loechels450 said:
One was a saflager and the other a French saison both dry
I guess what I'm trying to find out is wether it was a coincidence since Iv never had a problem using us05 and have made close to 50 brews.
US05 is primarily an ale yeast, I presume your doing a different style with these? hence your probably not comparing apples with apples so I doubt the fermenter is the culprit.

Thanks leyther I think you might be right and maybe the flavours just were not what I was expecting

Unleash your inner ζυμομύκητες and fly.

I've used us05 a lot before using a saison yeast in a plastic fermenter and have had no probs. The saison does produce a dry beer I think depending on what temperature you fermented at (others more experienced might know more on this).

Back