Xxxx Edges Out Vb As Our Favourite Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting how the statistics change in different areas.
The bottlo I work at in Newcastle Tooheys New outsells VB 4:1, with XXXX in second place, still doubling VB sales.
Also interesting NOT to see Hahn Super Dry, which we sell twice the volume of compared to its CUB counterpart, Pure Blonde.
Having said that, the Newcaste/Hunter region is pretty much regarded as being a "Tooheys" area.

Also interesting to note, growing up in Sydney, how the hell XXXX could be remotely up there!?
Sure, different story, in Newy, but in Sydney, particularly 5+ years ago, you'd be hard pressed to find XXXX Gold in a stubbie at a pub, let alone off tap! Having said that, drinking trends are a changing, many shifting towards the mid strength.

Megaswillers can be educated if you get them away from the herd. I take samples of my HB into work for the guys to try, (All Megaswillers or spirit drinkers). And when were owed cartons for jobs I tell them LCPA or 4 Pines stout, something different each time.
They give me their feedback and have actually started to appreciate craft beer. To the point that some of them now text me on the weekends when there at a bottlo to ask what they should buy, or my thoughts on a craft beer their considering.

The downside is I now have to take more samples in each time.. :rolleyes:

Used to work in the Vicinity of XXXX brewery, next door to Stadium where I occasionally watch football during summer.

Interesting smell comes over - it actually smells like brewery smell.

But it is still not enough to get me to drink it.

Ironically now, I wish I worked in that vicinity because the scratch bar is there. But glad I got out of that job - the guy was a psycho.

Goomba

:icon_offtopic: ish Article in today's Independant Daily

How we gave Australia a XXXX
Kevin Naughton

NOW that Queenslands XXXX beer has become the Australias biggest-selling brew, its time we revealed that the distinctive brand started in South Australia.

The XXXX brand was first introduced in Queensland in 1924 by brewer Castlemaine Perkins and is synonymous with Queensland and its beer culture.

The companys website makes no mention of the origins of the XXX brand, only that it was launched in 1924, but Australias National Archives explain the unusual name.

XXX is a throwback to the nineteenth century tradition of using Xs to indicate the strength of ale, the Archives records show.

As a result, one of Adelaides original breweries, the Walkerville Co-Operative Brewing Company used to sell a three-x rated beer until it moved up a notch in content in 1900 leading to the launch of Walkerville XXXX Ale.

The brand was registered in 1901 when the regulation and control of the beer industry in South Australia became the responsibility of the Commonwealth through the Collector of Customs for South Australia.

A significant collection of records about the regulation of the industry in South Australia has been identified among the records of these agencies held by the National Archives in Adelaide including one of the labels of the Walkerville XXXX Ale

The Walkerville Brewery was located on the banks of the Torrens in what was then known as Southwark.

The brewery was taken over by Nathans and then the SA Brewing Company which renamed the brewery the Southwark Brewery.

Later mergers and acquisitions saw the brewery branded as West End after the closure of that brewery in Hindley Street.

Yesterday the latest figures from Nielsen showed that XXXXs mid-strength beer now commands 12.4 per cent of all beer consumed in Australia, just beating VB, with 12.3 per cent.

All we can really say about that is that its no longer technically a XXXX strength beer and we thought of the name first.

surely tooheys old could've got in the list.
Oh that's right the average joe "doesn't like dark beers"

surely tooheys old could've got in the list.
Oh that's right the average joe "doesn't like dark beers"

Was thinking the same thing :p .

In all seriousness we sell more Tooheys Old then anything else. Almost 2 kegs to 1 of the others, we also have a variety of age groups that come through.

I am sure it is all the old drinkers that come in during the day. Still a sale is a sale.

All we can really say about that is that it’s no longer technically a XXXX strength beer – and we thought of the name first

More of a XX then?

Analogous to the scottish shilling beers, 60/-,70/- & 80/-, similar time period too.

:icon_offtopic: ish Article in today's Independant Daily

I think that x-amount of English breweries thought of X, XX, XXX, XXXX up to 6X before anyone down here ;)

long time ago, I heard the terms sec, double sec & triple sec referring to light, dry and extra dry beer respectively. Pretty sure the x, xx & xxx are just 'same sounding' and easier to put on the bottle. xxxx is a joke, whichever way you see it ;)

long time ago, I heard the terms sec, double sec & triple sec referring to light, dry and extra dry beer respectively. Pretty sure the x, xx & xxx are just 'same sounding' and easier to put on the bottle. xxxx is a joke, whichever way you see it ;)
and a lot easier to spell/read. (hmmm, more like xx1/2 these days and heading south?)

and a lot easier to spell/read. (hmmm, xx1/2 these days?)
I was trying to avoid commenting on qld'rs spelling/writing prowess :p...

Hey

(I've caught myself imbibing the vernacular too!)

I was trying to avoid commenting on qld'rs spelling/writing prowess :p...

Hey

(I've caught myself imbibing the vernacular too!)

Sorry, fighting the cat for keyboard space while having a beer may have lost some meaning to that post. :rolleyes:

I'm also not such a beer snob that I would turn down carlton draught/whatever at a work function as beer also has and always has had a context. I won't eat sheep's eyeballs at home but if I got offered one among people who consume them regularly, I'll have a nibble. If the nibble makes the pain and social awkwardness of hanging out with some of my managers get dulled a bit, then all the more reason.

Just on this note - I was at a work event at which there was a few hours of free booze on Wednesday night. Only available beer was bottled Carlton or cascade light. I'd think one of melbourne's biggest exhibition openings could at least spring for James Squire.

I drank Carlton and while I will stick to what I said above, it is pretty ******* awful rubbish. I tried smelling it at one point.

Not quite sure what that was. Better, marginally from tap.

Then I convinced a bunch of people that I was with that we should go to Beer Deluxe. They arrived ahead of me and decided it would be fun to buy a few bottles of champagne for the table.

I don't go to beer deluxe for the champagne.

Stepdaughter's BF brought round a six of XXXX heavy for a BBQ at Easter and it got left behind - he's a non drinker and was being nice. ( I think this is QLD only, it's the 4.7% brew not the gnats piss mid).

I'm out of gas and can't get any till Monday sooooo

xxxx_tins__Large_.jpg

As the first beer of the day and after a few tins it's not actually too objectionable, and has a nice sweet hop aroma. No filthy metallic mouse crap taste like VB.

Used to work in the Vicinity of XXXX brewery, next door to Stadium where I occasionally watch football during summer.
Interesting smell comes over - it actually smells like brewery smell.
Goomba

It's the malt as you well know Goomba? Beautifull smell! :icon_drool2: My wife's cousin lived with it for a few years as a newly-ordained minister at the church (long gone) next door on the western side of the brewery.
Used to be a maintenance fitter there (not the church :D ) in the '60's for two years or so. Two free pots twice a day. Being young & single I finally chucked it in because the shift work kept me away from the beach & all its attractions.
TP

XXXX Bitter is my preferred choice of the mainstream brewers. (as I type this I am sipping on a Coopers Sparkling out of a tallie). When I go to a pub and ask for a XXXX they start pouring me a Gold and I have to say no, a bitter thanks. The Gold seems to be a standard pub drink up here in QLD. Luckily the only pub I ever drift by for a beer has just put Coopers Pale Ale on tap for $5 a schooner. While I am a sparkling man a Pale Ale on tap does have a nice taste.

I bought a carton of Coopers Sparkling Ale tallies last night for $50. A carton of XXXX would have cost near that. Little Creatures Pale Ale was $60 a carton. By the look of the assortment of real beer available I believe the average person is at least willing to experiment. I went to a BBQ last weekend and a guy there gave me a taste of a beer he bought that came in a single box for a single bottle. I think it cost him $9 but it was superb.

Times are changing.

I remember the smell from Coopers Brewery when my Mum shopped Adeladie city centre, of course Coppers have moved from that location now. They where really good smells even to a 8-10 year old.

SWMBO and her sister grew up in Ultimo in Sydney in a tiny terrace house and walked to school past the Tooth's Brewery on Parramatta Road.

When I took up AG brewing she came into the garage to see what was happening, I was boiling and she was 7 years old again, and burst into tears. :)

XXXX Bitter is my preferred choice of the mainstream brewers. (as I type this I am sipping on a Coopers Sparkling out of a tallie). When I go to a pub and ask for a XXXX they start pouring me a Gold and I have to say no, a bitter thanks. The Gold seems to be a standard pub drink up here in QLD. Luckily the only pub I ever drift by for a beer has just put Coopers Pale Ale on tap for $5 a schooner. While I am a sparkling man a Pale Ale on tap does have a nice taste.

Times are changing.

Talk to your pub, Kin Kin is a tiny pub but has both Cooper Pale and Tooheys Old now on tap as well as all the usual meggas. I'm hoping soon we will feature a beer of the month being some type of craft brew, it's going to be my baby.

Back