Xmas In July Tasting - VIC

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn said:
21. AJ80 - chocolate vanilla stout : Late notes, drank Last w/end. Forgot what it was except that it was stout. You know I just thought this is very tasty stout that would be devine with desert. The vanilla and choc are very subtle. Part of me thinks it needs more vanilla/choc then part of me thinks it could ruin it. Very nice, I'd like a dozen more and label desert beer. Well done. Inspired to make another stout now. (LoL on top of my crate swap cube which is bubbling away as I waffle)
Glad you like it mate - I was expecting (read hoping) the choc and vanilla to be a bit more dominant to be honest. It's there, but subtle.

17. Warmbeer - oatmeal stout

Another ripping swap beer! Nothing huge on the aroma, mostly bitter chocolate. Zero head, but not something I'm concerned about. Taste, well, what can I say?? As I'm not a hipster I'll refrain from calling it totes amazeballs, but my word this beer is tasty. Smooth chocolate malt dominates and there's plenty of body from the oatmeal. Carb is low which is spot on for me and the bitterness is well balanced. Damn fine beer mate. Any chance of a recipe?

Between this and relaxedbrewer's, I'm now inspired to brew me an oatmeal stout. Yum!

3B-Golden Rooster, drink September

This is the third time I wrote this....twice already and I accidentally hit the back space key to fix a typo and stupid computer thought i wanted to go back to the previous screen.

I give up....so this is the bridged version

Nice beer.

I should have waited till September and it would have been carbed more.
Aroma - awesome and cascade-y
Flavour was a bit on the sweet side (is that crystal malt?)
Colour deep copper amber and clear.

Overall a really nice beer - would be awesome on a hot day it would be very sessionable

Martins caledonian porter is confirmed on steroids, albeit I dont know where caledonia is nor what their porters are supposed to be like!

Loving the sweet aroma, thick malt and dark chocolate body with a slight roasted finish. Top notch effort, put that on top of my porters list thats for sure :)

Notice, let mine Pour and sit, seems over carbed to me but let breath it out was ok... Sorry.

Ed, was opened at ambient.. Still..

Just cracked one of mine, ZERO carbonation. Hoping I accidentally missed this bottle, or it's just been so cold in my garage that it hasn't carbed up

3A-Big Brown Cock

One first smell there are the obvious Cascade citrus aroma. As it warmed these were less obivous and you could start to smell the malt backbone. As it got even warmer (I got distracted and let half glass sit for quite a while) tell form the aroma this was a big beer - not sure you how you describe the smell of alcohol, but thats what it is

Appearance - a very dark amber colour. Not cloudy but really hard to see through. I held my phone torch light behind it and still couldnt see through it...but looking though to a bright light the colour is beautiful dark amber.

Flavour is delicious malty, hoppy and alcoholly when warm.....A few of these and I'd be ready for a nap.

Poured a mice thickcreamy head of tiny tight bubbles.

Overall I really enjoyed this....well done Mardoo.

Thanks Grumps. That alcohol is giving me the shits. (No, I'm not over-sharing. ;) ) I've chalked it up to having overpitched and ended up with a too-fast fermentation but I'm not sure that's the reason. Less than 56 hours from go to woe. I barely got the candi syrup in late in the ferment because it went so quickly. However I'm not experienced enough to be sure overpitching is the cause. If anyone has any tips on how to avoid dog's balls alcohol in high-alcohol beers it would be greatly appreciated.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Martins caledonian porter is confirmed on steroids, albeit I dont know where caledonia is nor what their porters are supposed to be like!

Loving the sweet aroma, thick malt and dark chocolate body with a slight roasted finish. Top notch effort, put that on top of my porters list thats for sure :)
Thanking thee kindly Sir!

I'm quite happy with this, given that my initial swap beer was a flop & this one just HAD to go to the swap.

The Caledonian Brewery is in Edinburgh (yes, THAT one, in Scotland). Their Porter is only about 4% ABV & it's difficult to get a porter that low to have "balance" without getting too roasty. That's why it's my go-to winter porter recipe. However, the Swap beer had 1Kg of dextrose added to it to bump-up the ABV to about 6.5% (it was meant for my partner's uncle) without getting too cloying & having to fart-arse around with extra malt.

If you want the recipe, just shoot me a PM (you won't be the first...!) & I'll cut/paste a long-winded diatribe to bore you shitless. :unsure:

GrumpyPaul said:
3A-Big Brown Cock

One first smell there are the obvious Cascade citrus aroma. As it warmed these were less obivous and you could start to smell the malt backbone. As it got even warmer (I got distracted and let half glass sit for quite a while) tell form the aroma this was a big beer - not sure you how you describe the smell of alcohol, but thats what it is

Appearance - a very dark amber colour. Not cloudy but really hard to see through. I held my phone torch light behind it and still couldnt see through it...but looking though to a bright light the colour is beautiful dark amber.

Flavour is delicious malty, hoppy and alcoholly when warm.....A few of these and I'd be ready for a nap.

Poured a mice thickcreamy head of tiny tight bubbles.

Overall I really enjoyed this....well done Mardoo.
I just opened this one (not chilled) & I'm wondering if we've got the same beer?

I could see through it just holding it up to the kitchen light.

Yep, definitely Cascades in there, but not a heap of malt on the nose, nor obvious alcohols (ethanol or fusels). It's only once it gets down my throat that I know it's got some real balls to it.

For a high ABV beer, it's got good head retention & leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Clean, obviously hoppy, dry finish with the darker malts coming-through right at the end.

Deceptively drinkable until your head starts to swim in a sea of puce & aquamarine swirls, underpinned by those dolphins that have a cheeky grin & keep flapping their wings in a sort-of taunting, belly-dancing enticement that just makes you want to....Oh, I'll just shut-up now :huh:

Is it bed-time yet??

15. Camo6 - Rye AIPA: IMO this was carbed right. Only had rye once or twice before. Excellent brew I'm calling it an wholemeal IPA. Enjoyed this thoroughly.

5. GrumpyPaul - Scottish 80 aged on bourbon soaked oak READY TO DRINK. bottled about 8 weeks ago
Gorgeous beer...
Appearance:: Head was a little fluffy and diminished slowly, beautiful crystal clear deep ruby colour
Aroma: Devine when I opened the bottle, however quickly faded .. oak is very subtle. With more bourbon coming through in the aftertaste. however I am comparing to my recent imperial stout.. this is just right for this beer..
Light body medium to high carbonation probably a bit high for what I was expecting in this beer.
Tastes great mate.. very good job! too busy drinking to review !!

Grainer said:
Tastes great mate.. very good job! too busy drinking to review !!
Thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed it.

Ironically, at the time your post came through last night I was drinking a glass of version 2 of this brew that I did with twice the Oak.

Swap version had 1g/l oak
Version 2 had 2g/l oak

Version 2 the oak is a much more obvious than the swap beer - If I was to brew it a third time I reckon the right amount of oak is somewhere between the two versions

GrumpyPaul said:
Thanks for the feedback - glad you enjoyed it.

Ironically, at the time your post came through last night I was drinking a glass of version 2 of this brew that I did with twice the Oak.

Swap version had 1g/l oak
Version 2 had 2g/l oak

Version 2 the oak is a much more obvious than the swap beer - If I was to brew it a third time I reckon the right amount of oak is somewhere between the two versions
Which version did I get (just to complicate things)?

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Which version did I get (just to complicate things)?
You got the same one - I had a bottle left over from the swap. So that's what was sent to you.

Version two is kegged. - nothing in bottles.

9. MartinOC - Caledonian Porter on steroids

Appearance Deep ruby red with a rich tanned head, although a little on the small side that demninishes

Aroma: Malt with alcohol behind it.. maybe a bit strong for a Porter, Mollassas and chocolate with rich plum dominating, Good clarity

Mouthfeel: Incorrect for a porter.. I learnt this as mine is incorrect as well.. requires more mouthfeel.

I still think there is diacetyl or something????, but a judge can tell you that I am only guessing as I am not a judge....

Finally got off my arse and picked up my beers from Yob's house last night (apologies again for leaving my stuff lying around for so long), all day at work today I was drooling at the thought of getting stuck in and I'd knocked the top off one before my car keys had hit the kitchen bench when I got home this evening.

Of course the first thing I had to jam into my mouth was Mardoo's Big Brown Cock. I've never been one for beer tasting reviews but here goes:

A light aroma of hops belies the flavoursome punch of the first sip, big malty flavours mix well with the fresh hoppy bitterness. The mouthfeel is just right and the smoothness makes the alcohol % hard to believe. Out of ten I'd rate it delightful!

Cheers :)

19. Nullnvoid - Amber

This poured a beatiful thick creamy coloured head that stuck around for most of the glass. Really nice lacing....

The colour is a Deep Copper and the clarity is amazing - this beer poured brilliantly clear.

Very subtle hop aroma

Flavour - was well balanced. It was really nice to have a simple beer that wasn't super hoppy and loaded with aroma (I've been drinking lots of IPAs lately).

Overall I really enjoyed this beer - Good job

Latest posts

Back