!x Coopers Lager Can, And 500g Of Ldm Will This Be Ok?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a bit of a problem here, i have a sanitised fermenter here and i just realised that i only have 500g of light dried malt and 200g of maltodextrin, Oh, and a bag of cascade hops. should i go for it or just waste the sanitising lotion??

It'll be fine. Decent quaffer for hot days if you like that tin (which I'm assuming you do since you're brewing it).

No worries mate. I'd leave out the Maltodextrin and add some of the hops, should turn out a good lawnmower beer. Just put down a lower alcohol beer myself, looking forward to it.

Cheers - boingk

Hey guys,
I have a bit of a problem here, i have a sanitised fermenter here and i just realised that i only have 500g of light dried malt and 200g of maltodextrin, Oh, and a bag of cascade hops. should i go for it or just waste the sanitising lotion??

i would assume that you have a can of goo to go with that lot, that will be fine if you have, if you only have the ldme andmaltodextrin dont waste your time
fergi

sounds good to me, just dont use the whole bag of hops, though i guess you prolly knew that anyways....

I alos did a middy tonight...

Pretty sure he means a tea-bag - which he should definitely use all of.

Hey guys,

Contrary to popular opinion, you could boost it with a few hundred grams of plain white sugar if you want. Just keep an eye on ferment temps. Otherwise just make a lower abv version.

Have a look at Belgian candy sugar or invert sugar on the net .The equipment to make may already be in your kitchen .

I don't think a few hundred grams in a KK brew would need to be inverted personally but it's as simple as boiling it with a touch of acid until it's the colour you want (darker candy sugar will alter the colour of the beer and add some flavour).

When I make dubbels I reduce 500g - 1 kg of sugar in a few litresd of water to a deep copper syrup. I have added fresh orange juice and zest but use white vinegar (just a dash) at the moment for my acid. Citric acid is also often used by candy sugar makers. The main reason for me going through this process is because of the colour and flavour that such a substance brings to the final product and because I add it later once most of the maltose has been digested, aiming to be gentle on the yeast by having done some of the work for them.

I like the process but anything darker than light yellow takes a bit of time and monitoring.

I've made beer with nothing but one can (21L) before. It comes out pretty good, probably about 3%.

Although it's not a lot of body, those cans are weighted toward having 1kg of sugar - so leaving the sugar out doesn't make watery beer - just lower alcohol.

Just an update. I cracked one yesterday arvo and found it had a xxxx gold taste to it (but then the cascade hop came in and blew that 1 away.....) thinking will go for a cluster hop t-bag next time, cos there will definetly be a next time.

Back