Wyeast Problem?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunc

Reaction score
Had smacked 2 Wyeast the other day so this morning they were nice and puffy.

Problem is I didn't have any light malt like I though I had and no car, so I used some liquid malt instead, boiled with water till mixed. However when it was cool I took a hydro reading and it was about 1.012.

I had read that it should be around 1.020 or more, but I pitched the yeast and figured tomorrow I will make up a bigger starter and repitch again. Is this what I should do? Make up a higher gravity wort tomorrow and repitch?

I have not seen any action yet, and temps are about 20ish in the cupboard.
This is my first Wyeast so still learning.
Any advice?
Cheers.

Had smacked 2 Wyeast the other day so this morning they were nice and puffy.

Problem is I didn't have any light malt like I though I had and no car, so I used some liquid malt instead, boiled with water till mixed. However when it was cool I took a hydro reading and it was about 1.012.

I have not seen any action yet, and temps are about 20ish in the cupboard.

Hi Dunc,

There is nothing wrong with giving the wee beasties a feed of 1.012 wort - but there isn't much food there so it wouldn't take long for them to munch through it. Are you sure that they haven't munched through it while you weren't looking ?

How long between the packs puffed up and when you pitched them into the starter ? Did you leave them at room temps or did you put pop them in the fridge for a day or two.

BTW - why 2 packs ? I assume they were 2 different varieties so we are talking about 2 different starters here.

David

Well, I have used Oztops caps on the bottles instead of an air lock, and the bottles have not gotten any harder. But I guess that the seal on the oztops may not have been perfect, so quite possibly the yeast have gone through it. There is about a 1-1.5 cm yeats deposit on the bottom of the 2.25l container i was using, though there is only about 1litre in the bottles.

I smacked the starters of Californian 2112 and American Ale 1272 on Monday thinking I could do the culturing yesterday but couldn't, so left at room temp till this morning.

Sounds like they've done their bit Dunc & everything's fine - add some more malt if you want to build up further... Usually for a starter you're looking for approx 1040 wort...

cheers Ross.

Usually for a starter you're looking for approx 1040 wort...

cheers Ross.

Sorry Ross, but this is not quite correct. Wyeast recommend 1.020 - 1.030. From http://wyeastlab.com/education/edmyp.htm

"Preparing a starter Culture Solution...

To make more beer, or increase the pitching rate, if the package is aged or not used right after it swells, boil a pint of wort S.G. 1.020 - 30 using 3 -4 tablespoons malt extract in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. Cool to 75 F., add yeast and incubate for 12 hours or until high krausen."

David

Ok cheers lads
Ill build it up some more tommorow

Latest posts

Back