Wyeast labs 1968

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve0408

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I'm going to be doing 2 brews 2 weeks apart both require half a pack of Wyeast labs 1968, I have never used this type of yeast before only every the dry stuff,

Firstly is it possible to keep 50% for in 2 weeks time and secondly what processes should I follow to keep it without it spoiling.

Keep the remainder in a sterile tube or jar, make a starter a few days prior to pitching. Or even earlier to keep a portion for the yeast library

1/2 a pack? small batch or small beer?
Make a starter, use what you need for batch #1. Fridge the remainder, keeping the yeast nice and safe under the "beer". Decant said beer and allow yeast to warm prior to pitching what you need for batch #2 then store the remainder under distilled or pre-boiled and cooled water in the fridge for batch #3 (or another starter to produce enough yeast for another 3 batches).

Ok I'm a bit new to this so would I be ok to activate the smack pack, pour half in to a sterile jar and seal then palce in the fridge for 2 weeks.

Or do I need to dilute it and feed it? (I don't think I have any DME)

Sorry if there silly questions

and yes there 2x 10l batches so small batches

Yes sterile jar. When you go to pitch the second lot of yeast,sterilise some water with dme or some wort.
Use that as a starter.
If in doubt sterile twice bf adding the yeast.
Do this at least one day in advance to get the yeast active again.
DSC_0078.JPG

Use gladrap and a rubber band.
That way if you get it wrong you won't be making a glass bomb out if the second lot of yeast.
DSC_0079.JPG

Ps

Back