Wyeast Culture

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matski02

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an issue with my WYeast culture and was wondering if any of you have had the same issue.

I filled a 2 litre bottle with 200 grams of Dex and 1.5 litres of water followed by a WYeast Pils to culture into a bigger batch for later use.

I put all of this into the steralized and rinsed bottle on Friday and have since seen no action.

There is a little bit of murky substance that settles on the bottom, but I am unsure if this is the yeast and it is culturing without me knowing.

BTW, I tested the bottle, it is air tight. I also didn't wait for the pack to expand, I simply dropped all of the ingrediants in together.

Your help is appreciated.

Matt

Hi,

I have an issue with my WYeast culture and was wondering if any of you have had the same issue.

I filled a 2 litre bottle with 200 grams of Dex and 1.5 litres of water followed by a WYeast Pils to culture into a bigger batch for later use.

I put all of this into the steralized and rinsed bottle on Friday and have since seen no action.

There is a little bit of murky substance that settles on the bottom, but I am unsure if this is the yeast and it is culturing without me knowing.

BTW, I tested the bottle, it is air tight. I also didn't wait for the pack to expand, I simply dropped all of the ingrediants in together.

Your help is appreciated.

Matt

You have to use MALT in your starters. Not sure what will or wont happen by using dextrose. Did you smack it to break the nutrient sachet? Where have you got the 2 litre starter (what temp)? Do you give it a shake everytime you pass by?
Cheers
Steve

"Steralized and rinsed" ?

Sanitised with what, and rinsed with what?

You need to be more careful about this at the yeast propogation stage. The bacteria and wild yeast you pick up at this point will be magnified in your brew.

Yeast need oxygen to reproduce. Try to shake the yeast around as often as you can. I never put a seal or airlock on my starters, just a foil cap or cotton wool.

Also if you didnt use malt to make up the starter you will be short of nutrients, and the yeast may mutate because of the sugar only environment.

if you havent kept an eye on it its likely that you just missed the action. I used to do starters with dex with no problem (tho malt is beter - it conditions the yeast for its main job). I find that at such a small scale its usually over quite quickly and usually when you weren't watching it. is there any evidence of a small krausen ring on the bottle your using to make the starter?

Back