Wyeast 9093 Imperial Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Anyone on here used this? If so what are your thoughts? Reckon it would go well in a Strong Belgian or would it be lacking in esters?

i cant really help you with the belgain aspect, but pitched it into a 1072 stout about 20hrs ago. the pack swelled up very rapidly, the most ive had from any wyeast, currently has 3 inches of krausen and has dropped 10points!

lobo

what makes you think it would be good for a belgian?, next you will be using munich lager yeast to make a triple

Has anyone used this yet?
I pitched some into a 1.109 all grain RIS @21C after a few days vigorous ferment by loads of US05 & 1007 @ 17-18C, will pitch a bit more with some yeast nutrient when signs of fermentation slow and let rise to 23.
I've got a few starters of this at high kraeusen, anyone got any words of wisdom?

Has anyone used this yet?
I pitched some into a 1.109 all grain RIS @21C after a few days vigorous ferment by loads of US05 & 1007 @ 17-18C, will pitch a bit more with some yeast nutrient when signs of fermentation slow and let rise to 23.
I've got a few starters of this at high kraeusen, anyone got any words of wisdom?

I've done 2 batches with it. The first batch, APA with an OG of 1052, was basically a starter for the 2nd batch (repitched some slurry into an imperial porter). The APA went off like a rocket & finished out at 1007 within a few days. Even though I didn't let the temp get too high (around 22 iirc) the beer has some crazy belgian like esters going on :huh: & it isn't really pleasant at all... really dry as you would imagine. In hindsight it probably was not the greatest idea pitching it on a low gravity wort.
I made sure I kept the temperature of the 2nd ferment around 17-18c & it helped control the fermentation speed. So far I haven't tasted any off flavours or esters but I only just transferred it to the serving keg & am currently leaving it to carb.

Cool, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Yeah mine's feisty too, it was swollen when I got it, when smacked I could feel it inflating, and all starters have fermented instantly and constantly.

Cool, I'd love to hear how it turns out!

Yeah mine's feisty too, it was swollen when I got it, when smacked I could feel it inflating, and all starters have fermented instantly and constantly.

Hey brendanos.. just started some early tastings of the porter that I made with this yeast. I haven't taken any FG readings as yet. My OG was 1072 & I'm guessing the FG wouldn't be any more than 1010.. probably less. I cant really taste any of the esters I was getting in the previous beer. The malt profile is not lacking at all, & it finishes dry (which is what I wanted), but for a beer around 8% the alcohol is prominent. It's not what I'd call that hot alcohol taste, but it is warming & a little too noticeable on the end for my tastes.
Overall I can't say I'm really impressed with either of the beers made with this yeast. The porter is OK, & granted it was probably too small of a beer to make with this yeast, & I'm tasting it a little too early. But I'm not sure I'd be rushing out to try this yeast again. If I did I'd try it on something around 1100 (as your planning), & I'd ferment cool (16-17 for my setup) trying to slow it down.
It wasn't the best beers for me to try this yeast out on.. so I'd really be interested in hearing how your beer turns out & your thoughts on this yeast :)

Back