Wyeast 3789pc Trappist Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barls

causer of chaos and mayhem
Reaction score
who has used this yeast, im planning on making a oud bruin and want to know if i just pitch this or start with another belgian then rack on to half way through then age.
also how does this go with the other beers recomended ie Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin.
cheers

who has used this yeast, im planning on making a oud bruin and want to know if i just pitch this or start with another belgian then rack on to half way through then age.
also how does this go with the other beers recomended ie Belgian Specialty Ale, Belgian Pale Ale, Flanders Red, Oud Bruin.
cheers

Odd that they suggest it for an Oud Bruin as it was/is my understanding that it's a blend designed to emulate the yeast profile of Orval, which is pretty different to an Oud Bruin. I'd probably go with Roeselare Blend in an Oud Bruin for a bit more complexity and authenticity. Do a Belgian IPA with your Trappist Blend maybe?

cheers might just drink one of the oud bruin i have in the fridge and culture it up. it is interesting though.
might use this on some of my wurtenburger al i made.

yeah it is supposed to emulate orval, but in regards to your question to my knowledge you don't need to pitch another belgian yeast as this one only contains a small amount of brett which will start off mild and build up over time... I'm pretty sure its similar to fermenting with a belgian yeast then throwing the dregs of Orval in the fermenter....

can anyone suggest a better yeast for what im planning other than the Roeselare. also with the Roeselare is it just a straight pitch or a blend with another yeast

I'd go with some brett L, possibly some lacto and some commercial dregs you like....

although I've never brewed an oud bruin some of the other guys might have more knowledge

Back