Wyeast 3638

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My version passed the taste test, so all happy :) concurrent with Les' experience too, very short aging required. Don's taste test should show up in the Vic Xmas case swap taste test thread, I have my unofficial bottle, need to let it carb up, he bottled on the morning of the swap! Haha. Will get back on it when I eventually swap bottles with Adam.

Btw, mine was banana, but subdued, Chris' black hefe was more banana than my 3638 maybe the fermenting at 16-18 did it. Little hint of spice but there definitel. Was something other than banana that was fruity too, I can't place it but it was good might be the plum the yeast maker talks of!

Put down my first wheat brew with the following recipe and am fermenting at 21c after pitching a Wyeast 3638. its been going for 2 days now. It seems i am fermenting higher than most people do according to this thread. Any advice on what i can expect with phenolics at this higher temp and should i have done it at a lower temp? Either way i am looking forward to trying this out, as i am just starting to try different styles than APA'a and stouts.

This went into two cubes so i can ferment the second lower if that hear back that 21c is very wrong somehow.

6.3kg JW Wheat
1.8kg vienna
1.7kg pilsner
1kg dried wheat malt (efficiency was down due to lazy initial mash stir, i think)
.6kg med crystal
50gm hersbrucker 25min
50gm Pacifica 25min
IBU 16
OG 1.049
43litres

Back