Wyeast 2112 Cali Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maple

Talkin' bout a Rye-volution
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any experience with the Wyeast 2112, specifically looking for info on what to expect from fermenting this below its stated 'optimum' range? I have a 1.050 OG batch which I cooled down to 16 deg, pitched the yeast, let her go for 2 days @ 16, and have now moved it out to the shed (keeping a constant 10 deg environment). It's still kicking along at 10, just wondering what to expect flavor wise with the lower temp finish. Will likely raise it up for a Diacetyl rest, but since this is outside the normal range (on the other side than I'm use to being on) I have no idea what the effects will be. Any insight?

Maple

The Wyeast blurb on 2112 specifically states "its not recommended for cold fermentation" Is there any reason why you couldn't place the fermenter inside?

Otherwise tell us how it turns out, I'm curious to know.

cheers,
BB

It's in the shed due to space constraints only. I have an Alaskan amber w/ northwest ale and a us05 version in my "allocated" space. SWMBO would not be impressed if I started creeping out of this area. Figuring it is a lager I thought there should be no adverse effects. Maybe just a bit less estery? Not sure about it, hence my post.

Assuming the White Labs strain is the same or similar, [topic="33839"]here[/topic] is some recent info.

2112 is not really a lager yeast. I'd bring it inside or at least try and warm it up to the mid teens. Maybe wrap a blanket around it?

cheers

grant

Assuming the White Labs strain is the same or similar, [topic="33839"]here[/topic] is some recent info.
If it is the same, that about answers my question. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back