First time lagering ( Czech Pilsner )

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diddlez

Reaction score
Just wanted to check what the go is with the lager fermenting process as I'm doing on for the first time.

Once boil is complete I chill to 10 C in the fermenter then add yeast. Ferment until complete at 10 C ( roughly 2 weeks ), then raise to 16 - 18 C for a ~2 day diacetyl rest.

Once this is done, can I leave it in the same primary fermenter to lager ( 1 - 3 C ) or do I need to siphon it to a secondary fermenter to lager for ~ 4 - 6 weeks so it's off all the old yeast and muck. I'd prefer to leave it in the primary and not fk with it if that's an ok thing to do.

Also once the lagering is done can I just bottle it as normal and condition it in a room temperature cupboard in my garage like i do with my ales, or do I have to bottle condition it in the fermenting fridge at lager temps?

Cheers for any feedback.

Just wanted to check what the go is with the lager fermenting process as I'm doing on for the first time.

Once boil is complete I chill to 10 C in the fermenter then add yeast. Ferment until complete at 10 C ( roughly 2 weeks ), then raise to 16 - 18 C for a ~2 day diacetyl rest.

Once this is done, can I leave it in the same primary fermenter to lager ( 1 - 3 C ) or do I need to siphon it to a secondary fermenter to lager for ~ 4 - 6 weeks so it's off all the old yeast and muck. I'd prefer to leave it in the primary and not fk with it if that's an ok thing to do.

Also once the lagering is done can I just bottle it as normal and condition it in a room temperature cupboard in my garage like i do with my ales, or do I have to bottle condition it in the fermenting fridge at lager temps?

Cheers for any feedback.

First part looks ok, but as for lagering I think it would be wise to rack into a secondary I actually racked into large water bottles for the lagering process.
You're trying to clear and age the beer so getting it off that sediment would be a good thing.

Bottling I always did exactly the same as my other beers.

I don't have room or patience for pilsners now but maybe next autumn I'll start doing a few again

Any issues with the lagering process occurring in a keg? and if so, under pressure or not?

Any issues with the lagering process occurring in a keg? and if so, under pressure or not?

I can't see any and I know others do it.
You'll be best to purge the kegs with CO2 but I don't know of anyone actually pressurising them for lagering..

edit: It appears some people do add CO2 at around serving pressure, so looks like either way it will work :)

Last edited:
I bottled a lager 1 week ago. Fermented it for 2 weeks (including a D rest), then racked it into another container after giving it a covering of CO2. Lagered it for 6 weeks.
I would definitely rack it off your yeast and other trub. You will have sufficient yeast left in suspension, even though the beer looks clear, to continue to clear up and improve your beer if you lower the temp by about 1ºC each morning and evening so as not to shock the yeast into inaction. No need to pressurise it.

I usually ferment under pressure (SS Unitank), and I do a closed transfer after cold crashing to kegs also under pressure.
They usually sit at about 10 psi, sometimes they are are a bit overcarbonated.
If Im desperate I start drinking them 5 days after kegging and they taste good, but waiting another few weeks is better and they taste awesome.
Cant comment on waiting longer than a month, as they are normally gone by then.

Latest posts

Back