Wyeast 1737 Flying Dog - Thoughts?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch

Reaction score
I've searched far and wide, and come up with very little on this yeast.
So I'm curious - who else has used it, and what are your thoughts?

I just pitched a massive starter (that took 4 days on a stir plate to complete!!!). The starter tasted absolutely fantastic (surprisingly - they normally taste foul).
I've had it fermenting at a constant 20deg for 3 days, and it is chugging along quite slowly, almost lager-like, so I'm guessing it's going to be a very smooth result, in spite of the slow ferment.

Anyone else have thoughts to share?

Like the Flying Dog Beer and thier Prez (see Flying Dog Link) ) I found the yeast to be awesome.

I have the luxury of trying alot of the yeast types yet this one is something special. The yeast is a big healthy top cropper with excellent floculation. The apparent attenuation is perhaps a bit lower than the other's like Thames Valley 1335, and produced such a great beer that I had to make another straight away - and I did ant it was as awesome.

The ester profile was to die for, i was seeing flying dogs after a couple ... Kurtz also had a play with it and had the same results.

Go for a good hoppie bitter or American Ale, i used it in our Amber and the beer ROCKED!

Scotty

I've searched far and wide, and come up with very little on this yeast.
So I'm curious - who else has used it, and what are your thoughts?

I just pitched a massive starter (that took 4 days on a stir plate to complete!!!). The starter tasted absolutely fantastic (surprisingly - they normally taste foul).
I've had it fermenting at a constant 20deg for 3 days, and it is chugging along quite slowly, almost lager-like, so I'm guessing it's going to be a very smooth result, in spite of the slow ferment.

Anyone else have thoughts to share?

I spent a very pleasant afternoon at the brewery when I was in Denver a few months ago. They use this yeast for most of their beers - which are very nice, hop driven ales.

Plenty of info on their website but let me know what beer style you are after and I will see what I can dig out for you.

NNL (ie Scotty & I) still have a half dozen packs in stock.

Good Brew'n

David

Go for a good hoppie bitter or American Ale, i used it in our Amber and the beer ROCKED!

Scotty
Cheers everyone for the great feedback.
I happened to score some of this yeast at G&G for $2, because the pack had already swolen, and was only 1 month old. Score!

I've got an amber ale with a truck-load of willamette and NZ Goldings with it fermenting at the moment, and I'm planning to re-pitch in a big APA I brewed last weekend, sitting in no-chill cubes waiting their turn. I made the starter using dregs from the APA, and... er... I can't say I've ever drunk half a pint of starter beer before. :p I am REALLY looking forward to the results...

From their website, it does appear slightly low in terms of attenuation, and they suggest a fermentation temp in the 19-22deg range.
(Talk about impatient - I'm used to Ales being fermentated out in a few days. This looks like it's going to take all week!)

Back