Wyeast 1099 Whitbread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
Howdy beer people,

I brewed up an oatmeal stout a few weeks ago. Knocked up a 2L started with 2 packs of Wyeast 1099 Whitbread ale. One of the packs was about 2 months old and the other 3 months (since manufacture date), they had both swelled Ok over night, one better than the other. I planned to get the starter going to 2 days then pitch, but me brew day was destroyed after a long drinking session involving two AFL games and a bit of a bar hop the previous night.

The next week end, I made the brew, so the starter had finished fermenting but there was a good 20-25mm thick layer of good yeast slurry I pitched to the 52L batch at OG = 1057 @ 19C which had pure oxygen injected as it was pumped into the fermenter. I monitored the temp and gravity over the first week. The tempt was mainly 19-20C but was on 18C after one cold night, but on close inspection looked between 18-19C, rather than 17-18C. The brew was fermenting hard the first 3 days and I was thinking it would be over in 5. But on the 4th it started slowing, and by the 6th had stopped at about 1026 (brix reading of 9.5).

I tried my standard trick of raising the temp to about 21C and boiling a mug of water with a decent teaspoon of yeast nutrient in it then dumped it into the fermenter. This did nothing for the first time ever. I then racked it into another fermenter and pitched one sachet of S-04 along with 500g of home made candi sugar in an attempt to give the yeast some simple sugars to get started on. The brix was then reading 10. I went away for 6 days, leaving the fermenter in my cold house but with a electric blanket on the low setting (should have maintained 19-22). Came back and it now reads 9.8

What the...!!

The beer tastes very good out of the fermenter. Obivously sweet, but the roast character seems to balance it quite well. Besides, I quick like my sweet stouts to be fairly sweet. I originally kept the ferment temp low as I didnt want many esters, I wanted a very malty profile. I could try injecting more oxygen, but run the risk of then ending a little dry and estery. or perhaps I could bottle it and risk blowing my brewery up if the yeast get their arses into gear?

Has anyone had much experience with wyeast 1099 that could other some advice? Or any other trademark moves for convincing the yeast to call off the strike?

Thanks

Just found this in a search.

Looking for any info on whitbread 1099 as well as I have accidentally been given this instead of 1275 thames valley and having used neither, am happy to give it a go.

Looking at a robust porter.

Sorry for hijack although I guess you've solved your problem by now.

Latest posts

Back